Beaver Tips

This forum has been developed to discuss Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore, Rudder Bug

peterdillon
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Beaver Tips

Post by peterdillon »

Good you left room for some difference of opinion. First of a all a boat prop is pushing from the back from below the bottom of the boat while on most planes the prop is pulling in the air from the front and way above the water so don't see the comparison other than they are both in the water.
Any plane I ever had start to porpoise was already on the step. While every floatplane and float model and brand combination is different not holding the stick back when you apply take off power especially in rough water is a recipe for serious prop erosion on many planes. There are lots of different floatplane combinations that I have flown if heavily loaded would never get on the step unless you held the stick full back first. In my experience the idea of holding the stick back is to get into a position where you can get on the step and save the prop. The Beaver probably gets the least advantage of stick back, other than prop erosion, due to the rear already being heavy.
---------- ADS -----------

Maynard
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Maynard »

peterdillon wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 10:53 am Good you left room for some difference of opinion. First of a all a boat prop is pushing from the back from below the bottom of the boat while on most planes the prop is pulling in the air from the front and way above the water so don't see the comparison other than they are both in the water.
You missed my point...pulling back on the elevator equates to trimming a motor up on a boat. It has the same effect on the hull in the water. The props location has nothing to do with it, pulling, pushing, in or out of the water.

I guess I should write something here.
Meatservo
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Meatservo »

Maynard, I think you have put a lot of thought into this, and I can't find anything in what you wrote that I disagree with. I think it's impossible to generalize about seaplane technique because of how many different kinds of aeroplanes there are, and how many different load scenarios, sea states, and meteorological conditions we have to deal with. Seaplane flying will always be more art than science. Of course it's ALL science really, but art is the way humans deal with science on an instinctive level, and I will always think of airmanship as an art. I'm sure that you will agree with me at least on this point.

If I'd known I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself
Maynard
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Maynard »

Meatservo wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 1:01 am Maynard, I think you have put a lot of thought into this, and I can't find anything in what you wrote that I disagree with. I think it's impossible to generalize about seaplane technique because of how many different kinds of aeroplanes there are, and how many different load scenarios, sea states, and meteorological conditions we have to deal with. Seaplane flying will always be more art than science. Of course it's ALL science really, but art is the way humans deal with science on an instinctive level, and I will always think of airmanship as an art. I'm sure that you will agree with me at least on this point.
100%. I think it’s 90% feel when it comes to floats (encompassing art, airmanship and science)

Maynard
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Maynard »

Meatservo wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 1:01 am Maynard, I think you have put a lot of thought into this, and I can't find anything in what you wrote that I disagree with. I think it's impossible to generalize about seaplane technique because of how many different kinds of aeroplanes there are, and how many different load scenarios, sea states, and meteorological conditions we have to deal with. Seaplane flying will always be more art than science. Of course it's ALL science really, but art is the way humans deal with science on an instinctive level, and I will always think of airmanship as an art. I'm sure that you will agree with me at least on this point.
100%. I think it’s 90% feel when it comes to floats (encompassing art, airmanship and science)

B.Cub
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by B.Cub »

I've got a couple issues with the Beaver/R985 I'm flying right now.

1) Every once in a while the generator won't charge the battery. I haven't seen it quit during flight, it just won't commence charging from start on a given flight. Cycling everything doesn't fix it. I will leave it overnight and the next day it will function normally and carry on for an other 20 legs or so.

2) Sometimes after a hot start there will be no fuel pressure at taxi RPM. Only after start though, never at taxi RPM after landing.

C-FDPB
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by C-FDPB »

I've encountered this on a beaver before. Low fuel pressure light coming on when hot. I've been told it could be. Sign the fuel pump is starting to go

oldncold
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by oldncold »

this is just a hunch re fuel pressure issue , check the lines and seals for leaks to carb also the engine fuel pump . as you mentioned that taxi after start , low pressure but not after landing where there would likely be enough fuel in collection points . one other point may be is the wobble pump seals may be allowing fuel to flow back due to worn piston or seals with the moose haul season coming good to get it checked you dont want to be doing the what if on some short lake with of moose n weather closing in. :shock:

Return to “Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service”