Page 1 of 1
Something I have always wondered
Posted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 12:06 pm
by Lurch
When asked to report "Procedure turn inbound" Where exactly do you want us to report?
I always report upon turning to the intercept heading. I have seen/heard people call when they have intercepted the inbound course off of the procedure turn.
Lurch
Re: Something I have always wondered
Posted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 12:18 pm
by Chaosrider
I guess you will get different answers from different peoples.
On my part, as an FSS, I would expect the call once the turn is completed joining the final.
The main reason I would ask that is to know once you join the final for an update on the wind/traffic.
Often people here will say "a call procedure turn inbound completed". I would dare say that in most cases if you would report begining the procedure turn inbound, it would give a godd enough position.
Bottom line, I would expect pretty much what you are doing right now.
Re: Something I have always wondered
Posted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 12:34 pm
by Jerricho
For me (and I'm fairly safe in saying it's the same everybody I work with) I want you to report the turn to the intercept heading (ie, back towards final). Often we will ask "report before turning inbound" as you may have to be extended outbound for a bit. A call established on the inbound course wouldn't help so much.
Re: Something I have always wondered
Posted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 2:48 pm
by NJ
I used to ask for procedure turn inbound but didn't always get the report I wanted. So now I ask for a report on the inbound track (the loc, certain radial etc) and that seems to work well.
Re: Something I have always wondered
Posted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:05 pm
by W0XOF
Jerricho wrote:For me (and I'm fairly safe in saying it's the same everybody I work with) I want you to report the turn to the intercept heading (ie, back towards final). Often we will ask "report before turning inbound" as you may have to be extended outbound for a bit. A call established on the inbound course wouldn't help so much.
+1
Re: Something I have always wondered
Posted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 9:56 am
by old_man
Jerricho wrote:For me (and I'm fairly safe in saying it's the same everybody I work with) I want you to report the turn to the intercept heading (ie, back towards final). Often we will ask "report before turning inbound" as you may have to be extended outbound for a bit. A call established on the inbound course wouldn't help so much.
That's what I always interpreted it as. Basically, when you are no longer getting farther away from the airport but are not moving closer to it.
It comes when I do my 5 T check.
Re: Something I have always wondered
Posted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 11:59 am
by pilotman15
At the same time, "report procedure turn outbound".....if doing a standard procedure turn would ATC want when turning the 45 away from the outbound track or when on the outbound track. As with say racetrack procedure turn, one would assume as soon as you make the turn from the fix. Any takers on this one?
Re: Something I have always wondered
Posted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 1:32 pm
by Jerricho
"Report procedure turn outbound?"
I would say crossing the fix/beacon to start outbound........I guess I base this on the requirement to call entering a hold over the fix (and reporting over the fix after completeing the hold entry procedure)
Re: Something I have always wondered
Posted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 3:14 pm
by Lurch
Jerricho wrote:"Report procedure turn outbound?"
I would say crossing the fix/beacon to start outbound........I guess I base this on the requirement to call entering a hold over the fix (and reporting over the fix after completeing the hold entry procedure)
I would call starting the outbound turn, so 1 minute after the fix.
I would only call over the fix if asked to "Report Fix/beacon outbound"
Lurch
Re: Something I have always wondered
Posted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 5:27 pm
by pilotman15
Lurch wrote:Jerricho wrote:"Report procedure turn outbound?"
I would say crossing the fix/beacon to start outbound........I guess I base this on the requirement to call entering a hold over the fix (and reporting over the fix after completeing the hold entry procedure)
I would call starting the outbound turn, so 1 minute after the fix.
I would only call over the fix if asked to "Report Fix/beacon outbound"
Lurch
Yea that would be understandable on a standard procedure turn, but let's say the racetrack turn, would you wait until you have turned outbound +1 minute or call as soon as you turn outbound?
Re: Something I have always wondered
Posted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 8:46 pm
by Lurch
pilotman15 wrote:Yea that would be understandable on a standard procedure turn, but let's say the racetrack turn, would you wait until you have turned outbound +1 minute or call as soon as you turn outbound?
I was talking about the standard Hockey stick pattern. If I was doing a racetrack/modified racetrack then I'd report BCN/Fix outbound.
Lurch
Re: Something I have always wondered
Posted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 11:17 pm
by pilotman15
Thanks for the help