Osteoporosis

Read and post topics related to aviation medicals, health and fitness in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

ack
Rank 0
Rank 0

Osteoporosis

Post by ack »

I`m looking for information wrt the implications on a medical certificate, if any, of osteoporosis or perhaps osteoarthritis. Any knowledge of licencing complications or restrictions due to the bisphosphonate family of drugs (Fosamax, etc.) would also be very interesting.
Thanks
---------- ADS -----------

. ._
Top Poster
Top Poster
Location: Cowering in my little room because the Water Cooler is locked.

Re: Osteoporosis

Post by . ._ »

If you don't get an answer here, don't be afraid to slam a thread in the General Comments.

A mod might move it, but you might get more replies.

My two cents. It sounds serious. You probably won't get banned.

-istp :wink:

Prairie Chicken
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Prairie Chicken »

I don't believe the bisphosphonate family are a problem for your medical but do some serious research on-line before taking that stuff. It stays in your body forever and has some nasty side-effects. Bisphosphonates are designed to treat conditions most commonly experienced by post-menopausal women--an enormous market--and I don't believe big pharma have the public's best intersts at heart when pushing these drugs. Also be advised the medical community have changed their tune in the last year as far as prescribing these to every single person who may have osteopenia (the precursor to osteoporosis) or osteoporosis. They are now saying they are only prescribing when one is deemed to be at high risk of fractures.

Prairie Chicken
john6574
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by john6574 »

Osteoperosis is not nice. Been living with osteoarthritis for twenty years try enrophen 10 it's a time delay asprin. The MOT are ok with that. Just be aware that this may be the start of DDD degenerative disc disease. Suggest you read the two Ergonomic Reports on flight bag weight and seat ergonomics on the ALPA web site. I am off now with a disc protrusion into the spinal cord. I've been off over two years my surgery (spinal fusion) is next month, MOT medical revolked for this. ALPA does not represent you with WCB claims and for a workplace accomodation, but WCB must find that your condition was a work place injury for section 18-4 to apply. Found that out the hard way, read section 18-4 of the current contract. If you get injured at work you will need a lawyer, I didn't and I lost. That means section 18-4 did not kick in. The good news, if you can call it that, is you qualify for a disabilty as per the Canada Revenue Agency. Take this very seriously if you have osteoarthritis your back will degenerate over time and any back injury will add to your pain. Read the ergonomic reports they are very informative and they both condemn the bag weights and seat ergonomics on the Dash and the RJ. Be wary my friend all it took was a few slips latching the F/D door and I was hooped. Osteoarthritis is considered a workplace disease in the literature I researched. Sixteen Jazz pilots have reported injuries related to these reports. ALPA recomends filing the STD only and to not report it as a workplace injury because of the cost for ALPA to fight WCB. This is one reason our STD and LTD premiums are rising. If section 18-4 of the contract were enforced what would that be worth to all of us?

Get Well,
John

skylight
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by skylight »

Hello John,

I kknow that this thread is not
john6574 wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:02 pm Osteoperosis is not nice. Been living with osteoarthritis for twenty years try enrophen 10 it's a time delay asprin. The MOT are ok with that. Just be aware that this may be the start of DDD degenerative disc disease. Suggest you read the two Ergonomic Reports on flight bag weight and seat ergonomics on the ALPA web site. I am off now with a disc protrusion into the spinal cord. I've been off over two years my surgery (spinal fusion) is next month, MOT medical revolked for this. ALPA does not represent you with WCB claims and for a workplace accomodation, but WCB must find that your condition was a work place injury for section 18-4 to apply. Found that out the hard way, read section 18-4 of the current contract. If you get injured at work you will need a lawyer, I didn't and I lost. That means section 18-4 did not kick in. The good news, if you can call it that, is you qualify for a disabilty as per the Canada Revenue Agency. Take this very seriously if you have osteoarthritis your back will degenerate over time and any back injury will add to your pain. Read the ergonomic reports they are very informative and they both condemn the bag weights and seat ergonomics on the Dash and the RJ. Be wary my friend all it took was a few slips latching the F/D door and I was hooped. Osteoarthritis is considered a workplace disease in the literature I researched. Sixteen Jazz pilots have reported injuries related to these reports. ALPA recomends filing the STD only and to not report it as a workplace injury because of the cost for ALPA to fight WCB. This is one reason our STD and LTD premiums are rising. If section 18-4 of the contract were enforced what would that be worth to all of us?

Get Well,
John

Hello John, I know that this thread is now 10yrs old. However, I am interested in the reading the two Ergonomic Reports on flight bag weight and seat ergonomics on the ALPA web site. I am not able to find them. Would you have the link for the same? Thank you.

Return to “Health & Fitness”