Page 1 of 1
A320 type rating schools
Posted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:40 pm
by 3degree
Hi I was wondering if anyone has gone through either school for a type rating AAT training in Vancouver or CAE out of Toronto? I was wondering which is a better school and any opinions on either school? I am thinking about doing the A320 type rating.
Re: A320 type rating schools
Posted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:33 pm
by YWGGuy
In Canada, for a A320 type rating it would be best to get hired on by Air Canada. If you can bid the A320 they will train you.
Please don't tell me you want to "buy" a rating and then find a job? If a company (at the 705 equivalent) does not want to pay for your training, chances are you don't want to fly with them... Please help stop this race to the bottom.
Re: A320 type rating schools
Posted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:34 pm
by D-Iced
In fact, an A320 rating without time on type is unlikely to gain you employment anywhere unless you already have a contract with the carrier (and they explicitly require you to pay for your own rating).
My opinion? An airline is in the airline business. Training is part of the business and a major part of the costs of running the business.
Re: A320 type rating schools
Posted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:51 pm
by Changes in Latitudes
Weird, with the last 4 type ratings I did, I never had to worry about a thing.
Get a job, they'll take care of the rest.
Re: A320 type rating schools
Posted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:10 pm
by ng78
I have a buddy who did his rating in YVR. I told him he was an idiot, and he actually agreed, but he was frustrated and wanted to move on. When he wasn't having any luck he admitted that it was likely a stupid thing to do and was regretting his decision.
Fast forward a little more time, and he got hired in Asia flying an A320. He had well under 2,000 hours on small turbine aircraft. Do you think he regrets his decision now? He's doing exceptionally well and is having a great time.
The cost for the course in YVR is approximately $20,000, not sure about CAE in YYZ. It's a huge gamble and it won't be useful for a job in Canada, but if you have a reasonable amount of experience and are willing to go to Asia, it might just work out for you.
Re: A320 type rating schools
Posted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:00 am
by captbm
Have a look on pprune, there are some companys in Europe who do the rating with line training as well, sorry don't know the cost.
Re: A320 type rating schools
Posted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 3:20 pm
by 2775PSI
ng78 wrote:
Fast forward a little more time, and he got hired in Asia flying an A320. He had well under 2,000 hours on small turbine aircraft. Do you think he regrets his decision now? He's doing exceptionally well and is having a great time.
I'm glad he's doing well and having a great time. Please thank him for screwing the industry up for the rest of us. The more guys like him around, the more likely operators will require the rest of us to buy our jobs. And he has well under 2000 hours? Ask him what ever happened to
EARNING your seat on an Airbus and not having daddy buy you a job.
Re: A320 type rating schools
Posted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 5:38 pm
by Main Gear
I'm not sure how I feel about this.
Air Canada salary = $37,000 + $0 for type rating (low wage and type rating provided)
Other Airline salary = $60,000 - $23,000 for type rating (mediocre wage but pay for type rating)
6 of one, 1/2 dozen of the other?
The guy accepting the $37,000 is degrading the industry equally to the guy paying for a type rating. Either way, it is financially the same net result for the airline.
D-Iced wrote:
Training is part of the business and a major part of the costs of running the business.
Exactly. So the airline recoups it from the FO.
2775PSI wrote:
EARNING your seat on an Airbus.
Going from a $70,000 turboprop captain to a $37,000 jet FO is a step backwards.
Re: A320 type rating schools
Posted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:52 pm
by ng78
2775PSI wrote:ng78 wrote:
Fast forward a little more time, and he got hired in Asia flying an A320. He had well under 2,000 hours on small turbine aircraft. Do you think he regrets his decision now? He's doing exceptionally well and is having a great time.
I'm glad he's doing well and having a great time. Please thank him for screwing the industry up for the rest of us. The more guys like him around, the more likely operators will require the rest of us to buy our jobs. And he has well under 2000 hours? Ask him what ever happened to
EARNING your seat on an Airbus and not having daddy buy you a job.
He's in Asia if you read my post again. Things are completely different in that part of the world. Always have been, and always will be. If you want to work abroad, you have to consider doing things differently than how they're done in Canada. He gambled big and it paid off, but it could have gone much worse for him. He's also making more money than an Air Canada F/O, who by the way are paying for their type rating with their first two year pay scales. I guess he could have paid for an instructor's rating or worked the ramp for an undetermined amount of time with no flying job offer for well under what other manual labour makes.
I'll pass along the message next time we go for a beer. He'll pay (since he's doing so well)

Re: A320 type rating schools
Posted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:18 pm
by Joe Blow Schmo
Main Gear wrote:I'm not sure how I feel about this.
Air Canada salary = $37,000 + $0 for type rating (low wage and type rating provided)
Other Airline salary = $60,000 - $23,000 for type rating (mediocre wage but pay for type rating)
6 of one, 1/2 dozen of the other?
The guy accepting the $37,000 is degrading the industry equally to the guy paying for a type rating. Either way, it is financially the same net result for the airline.
After 2 years with AC, if you're on the 320 you're at about $90,000. At that other airline you're still making $60,000.
Re: A320 type rating schools
Posted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:35 am
by loopa
I thought year 2 F/O pay on the 320 @ ACA was closer to around 42 grand? Unless that has changed or was a myth before.
Re: A320 type rating schools
Posted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:55 am
by Joe Blow Schmo
loopa wrote:I thought year 2 F/O pay on the 320 @ ACA was closer to around 42 grand? Unless that has changed or was a myth before.
I think that's about right...not sure exactly. Of course I said "after 2 years" which would put you on year 3 pay, not year 2 pay.
Re: A320 type rating schools
Posted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 2:15 pm
by fingersmac
Which Asian airlines take pilots with a type rating, no time on type, no jet time AND pay $60K per year? Not sure if any exist and if they do they're in the minority.
Re: A320 type rating schools
Posted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:28 am
by Legacy
That would be like putting 20-30 grand in an investment because you "heard" a certain company would do well. Would you do that? So why would you do the same gamble and pay for a rating. Sorry I am a bit smarter than that.
Re: A320 type rating schools
Posted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 3:53 pm
by C208
I'm glad he's doing well and having a great time. Please thank him for screwing the industry up for the rest of us. The more guys like him around, the more likely operators will require the rest of us to buy our jobs. And he has well under 2000 hours? Ask him what ever happened to EARNING your seat on an Airbus and not having daddy buy you a job.
Tell that to 50% of pilots in Europe.
Which Asian airlines take pilots with a type rating, no time on type, no jet time AND pay $60K per year? Not sure if any exist and if they do they're in the minority.
Air Asia, Macau, Tiger, Used to be similar at Spice Jet, King Fisher. I can speak for the first 3 Asian Airlines cause I have friends who went to them with a Type Rating and C208B time ONLY. Also my old flight school seemed to have trained a hundred or so First Officers with the other two mentioned Carriers in India.
Unfortunatly people pay for their jobs all over the world just like in Canada but to a 3rd degree. One friend in particular has paid for his ATR42, A320 Family (IN YVR), and also DC9.
I personally dont agree with any of it and I will happily fly my Caravan until Virgin Galactic offers e a job (Provided I pay for my Mothership Type Rating of course).
R
I should add however I dont think they pay 60K.