IFR Rating
Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore, Rudder Bug
- glorifieddriver
- Rank 3

- Posts: 135
- Joined: Sun Jul 11, 2010 12:30 am
- Location: CYYZ
IFR Rating
Hey,
I am in between doing IFR or doing a Float Rating/and/or Bush Flying Course. And my question is: if you look for work flying a small float plane around camps or lodges, do they require that you have a valid IFR? I do not see a need for an IFR in that type of flying, I may be wrong, so may be someone can shed some light on this for me.
Cheers.
I am in between doing IFR or doing a Float Rating/and/or Bush Flying Course. And my question is: if you look for work flying a small float plane around camps or lodges, do they require that you have a valid IFR? I do not see a need for an IFR in that type of flying, I may be wrong, so may be someone can shed some light on this for me.
Cheers.
Re: IFR Rating
No.
If floats is your initial goal, forget the IFR. It's not required and can't be used (by most float operators) and to keep it you'll need to do renewals. Get it later if you plan to move on to that 'world'.
If floats is your initial goal, forget the IFR. It's not required and can't be used (by most float operators) and to keep it you'll need to do renewals. Get it later if you plan to move on to that 'world'.
Last edited by Bushav8er on Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- glorifieddriver
- Rank 3

- Posts: 135
- Joined: Sun Jul 11, 2010 12:30 am
- Location: CYYZ
Re: IFR Rating
Thank you. It is just after doing all the research, I think the best way to go right now is bush/floats, get yourself a load of PIC time and then start worrying about IFR and moving on the keeping the right seat warm. Not to mention the kind of flying this would offer, would be the most fun. Who knows, may be I will never want to move on haha.
I understand that its only a summer time thing for most operators, unless they have some other work for wheels/skis? Whats a typical float season? May to Sept?
I understand that its only a summer time thing for most operators, unless they have some other work for wheels/skis? Whats a typical float season? May to Sept?
Re: IFR Rating
There are two primary paths to break in to aviation; instructing and bush.
Bush is commonly May (ice out) to mid October. These are mainly tourism based. There are some operators that go year round, namely in BC, but layoffs are common due to seasonal slow down, and those that supply mining operations or First Nations communities - NWT, Ontario for example.
Bush is commonly May (ice out) to mid October. These are mainly tourism based. There are some operators that go year round, namely in BC, but layoffs are common due to seasonal slow down, and those that supply mining operations or First Nations communities - NWT, Ontario for example.
-
North Shore
- Rank Moderator

- Posts: 5627
- Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2004 3:47 pm
- Location: Straight outta Dundarave...
Re: IFR Rating
Well, if you can afford both, then do both - 'bullets in the gun' so to speak...
I held a MIFR for several years before I ever used it in real life - all of those renewals out of my pocket...it didn't really get used in the bush world, but did give me confidence (not necessarily a good thing!) when the wx was trending lower..
If it's a one or the other deal for you, then flip a coin - depending on where your head's at, either can be fun...
I held a MIFR for several years before I ever used it in real life - all of those renewals out of my pocket...it didn't really get used in the bush world, but did give me confidence (not necessarily a good thing!) when the wx was trending lower..
If it's a one or the other deal for you, then flip a coin - depending on where your head's at, either can be fun...
Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?
Happiness is V1 at Thompson!
Ass, Licence, Job. In that order.
Happiness is V1 at Thompson!
Ass, Licence, Job. In that order.
Re: IFR Rating
IMHO, an IFR is a waste of time unless you are trying to get an FO spot on a light twin. If you are going with the bush flying route save the IFR for a few years down the road, you will more than likely have time in the winter to accomplish this. Besides you'll need the $10,000 you would spend on an IFR for beer over the next year or so.
Good Luck
Good Luck
-
peakbagger
- Rank 3

- Posts: 102
- Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 5:24 am
Re: IFR Rating
+1!!Well, if you can afford both, then do both - 'bullets in the gun' so to speak...
I got my MIFR and my 7 hour float rating in school. Never thought I would fly floats, but I ended up getting a few hundred hours on a 180 float plane in my first summer. Then as soon as that job was done for the season I went across the street to a wheel operator and walked into a full time flying position on a single engine, then left seat on a light twin, all in one year. The point is that if I had not done both ratings in school, the transition would not have been seamless. In reality I would probably not have even done it. Coming up with 8k for a MIFR is a hell of a lot easier as a student than as
Having both out of school put me years ahead.
Part of being in the right place at the right time is being ready for it!
Good luck
Re: IFR Rating
Save your money on the IFR if it's really float flying you want to do. If you are going to be working as a bush pilot you'll have plenty of time to get it when you are laid off in the event you think you are going to need it.


