So you want to be a flying instructor

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

flyingcanuck
Rank 6
Rank 6

Re: So you want to be a flying instructor

Post by flyingcanuck »

vermont wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:38 am What are the chances of being hired in Ontario? It seems like the schools only hire people who did their rating at the same school?
An instructor rating is gold there, maybe a few of the popular ones in the GTA hire their own, but you'd be able to get a job easily
---------- ADS -----------

vermont
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vermont »

flyingcanuck wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:33 am
vermont wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:38 am What are the chances of being hired in Ontario? It seems like the schools only hire people who did their rating at the same school?
An instructor rating is gold there, maybe a few of the popular ones in the GTA hire their own, but you'd be able to get a job easily
Thank you! Hopefully won't be too long till it's achieved!

CaptainKirk
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CaptainKirk »

100% being a flight instructor has its pros of being stationed close to civilization. You get your 1000-1200 hours in 3 years.

Then you can choose to go up North and get some hard IFR experience.

-Captain Kirk

LillianWatson
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by LillianWatson »

At one time in my life I really wanted to be a flight instructor, but after a while I realized that I liked just flying more than teaching)))

Julian.B
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Julian.B »

CaptainKirk wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 10:07 pm 100% being a flight instructor has its pros of being stationed close to civilization. You get your 1000-1200 hours in 3 years.

-Captain Kirk
That's just it. If your goal is to fly for an airline ASAP, being a flight instructor is pretty pointless. Why spend 3 years making crap money then going to work up North? The #1 most important thing at airline is seniority. It will dictate your pay, time off and generally a good life outside of work. Delaying that is detrimental to your career. There is no good reason to stick around, instructing, if you can get a multi engine / multi crew / IFR / turbine experience. The skills you learn as a flight instructor is not as important as getting that number, so you can start living your life. Sure, if you wanna be a SIM grunt at XYZ airlines, maybe it'll come in handy but even then, it's not required. Experience on the plane is more important. When it comes to being a good teacher, 80% of the time it's a natural thing. You're either good, or your suck. There are plenty of "smart-asses" where I work that act as if they're still in that right seat of the C172 and the guy to their left is a 10 hour student. I can tell who was a F.I. and who actually worked up North at a real job. Their characters show.

Yeah! You can tell I have very little respect for Flight Instructors (those career instructors excluded). I'm referring to those 99% of you that only did it get hours and screw people out of money for your own gain.

pitottubey
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by pitottubey »

Julian.B wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 6:21 am
CaptainKirk wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 10:07 pm 100% being a flight instructor has its pros of being stationed close to civilization. You get your 1000-1200 hours in 3 years.

-Captain Kirk
That's just it. If your goal is to fly for an airline ASAP, being a flight instructor is pretty pointless. Why spend 3 years making crap money then going to work up North? The #1 most important thing at airline is seniority. It will dictate your pay, time off and generally a good life outside of work. Delaying that is detrimental to your career. There is no good reason to stick around, instructing, if you can get a multi engine / multi crew / IFR / turbine experience. The skills you learn as a flight instructor is not as important as getting that number, so you can start living your life. Sure, if you wanna be a SIM grunt at XYZ airlines, maybe it'll come in handy but even then, it's not required. Experience on the plane is more important. When it comes to being a good teacher, 80% of the time it's a natural thing. You're either good, or your suck. There are plenty of "smart-asses" where I work that act as if they're still in that right seat of the C172 and the guy to their left is a 10 hour student. I can tell who was a F.I. and who actually worked up North at a real job. Their characters show.

Yeah! You can tell I have very little respect for Flight Instructors (those career instructors excluded). I'm referring to those 99% of you that only did it get hours and screw people out of money for your own gain.
That's quite a disappointingly hateful opinion to have. The majority of my instructor colleagues are wonderful people and I assure you are not there to just "screw people for their gain". Of course at the end of the day it's a job, not a charity. We all need to work hard to make a living and being an instructor at the beginning of your career for many is exactly that. That doesn't mean you have to screw people over along the way. That doesn't mean you have to do a poor job along the way. To spit on junior pilots trying to work their way up the industry is toxic and divisive. How dare we try to get our foot in the door in this industry.

HSH17
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by HSH17 »

-Captain Kirk

LOL sounds like someone was into the industry pre 250 hr wonder era. If kids can get scooped right outta school and sit right seat in a 705 machine/operation successfully then there is absolutely no reason to think a 1000 hr instructor can’t do the same. Can you really blame people getting into the industry these days for not wanting to go up North and fly some clapped out machine with terrible maintenance for subpar pay and a crappy schedule?

Mainlines hire from the street into cadet programs as I’m sure you know, just because all the boomers in Canadian aviation had to work a ramp job up North doesn’t mean Canada shouldn’t get with the times and realize that’s not the only path pilots can take. Your dislike of instructors seems pretty irrational and makes it sound like people should HAVE to “pay their dues” to make it (aka get abused by management and don’t do anything about it so you can pass your misery onto whoever’s next in line after you), what a great industry culture Canadian aviation has.

FlightInstructionGTA
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by FlightInstructionGTA »

HSH17 wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 7:50 am

-Captain Kirk

LOL sounds like someone was into the industry pre 250 hr wonder era. If kids can get scooped right outta school and sit right seat in a 705 machine/operation successfully then there is absolutely no reason to think a 1000 hr instructor can’t do the same. Can you really blame people getting into the industry these days for not wanting to go up North and fly some clapped out machine with terrible maintenance for subpar pay and a crappy schedule?

Mainlines hire from the street into cadet programs as I’m sure you know, just because all the boomers in Canadian aviation had to work a ramp job up North doesn’t mean Canada shouldn’t get with the times and realize that’s not the only path pilots can take. Your dislike of instructors seems pretty irrational and makes it sound like people should HAVE to “pay their dues” to make it (aka get abused by management and don’t do anything about it so you can pass your misery onto whoever’s next in line after you), what a great industry culture Canadian aviation has.
Agree with you. We need to stop criticizing and get some unity as a pilot group. FI, Airline Pilots and bush pilot.
Once again, we have the little war going on to chose from what s a real pilot?
Wondering if you considered that in a carreer, you could have been a flight instructor and worked up in the north and Airline pilot. And we are a lots of pilot who are fitting this profile.

Adding the fact that in some economic era, there were no flying positions available in the North. Flight Instructions was the only way to have a flying job. Then you could go up north to find a job because you had some hours.
You could also have worked the ramp. But the issue was to not be sure that you could get access to a flying job. I know some great guy, very hard worker who worked on the ramp for 2 years and did not get an FO job because buddies of the CEO, chief pilot or eveybody else get in front of the rampies....multiple times. So it get politics.

I don t know where you did your training. And you are partly right . Some of FI just do that to build some hours and leave as soon as they can. With this "get out of here ASAP" mentality is certainly felt by students.
My first FI was like that. Very good pilots but always talking about leaving his FI job...Then I changed FI and find a guy passionnate about aviation and teaching, not a carreer instructor btw.
I think it has to do with your work ethic as a flight instructor and pilot to do the best job that you can do.
If you don t have a work ethic as a flight instructor, you will not have one as a pilot for any company.

fly safe

vanislepilot
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vanislepilot »

:lol:

Last edited by vanislepilot on Sun Feb 04, 2024 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Maskless1
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Maskless1 »

The majority of the flight instructors I know are far more knowledgeable than any of these 703/704 guys they just don’t have the experience to back it up yet.. that comes with time and experience flying two crew. There’s nothing wrong with a 1000 hour instructor

ellinas
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ellinas »

How is the job opportunity in Ontario for obtaining a flight instructor position? Are schools hurting for instructors?

Thanks

if you are on the ground I guess there is now way but to look up!

Return to “Flight Training”