Apps???

Having difficulties with AvCanada Forums, the internet etc.. ask your questions here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Slipster
Rank 2
Rank 2

Apps???

Post by Slipster »

Hi all,

I'm looking for some useful apps for my iPhone and would like some suggestions ...

Mostly for GA...

PS... I'm not too iPhone savy...

Cheers

D
---------- ADS -----------

Apollo
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: Apps???

Post by Apollo »

Letsee... The ones I have in my flying folder are:

AeroWeather (Great App! and FREE!)
NavCanada AWWS bookmark (To get the information AeroWeather doesn't have, METAR histories, etc...)
MyRadar (Self explanatory, FREE!)
Topographic Maps Canada (Again, Self explanatory, FREE!)
PilotWiz (I don't really use this one, but I think a PPL would get more use from it, FREE!)
WorldView (For Webcams... Looking for a better option here though, doesn't always seem to want to work)

Safe Flying!

RVgrin
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by RVgrin »

ForeFlight

CL-Skadoo!
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by CL-Skadoo! »

Avcanada Search

TOGA Party
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by TOGA Party »

I like the phone app because I know that if you put in the code 8669927433 you can check weather, NOTAMS, file plans and itins, and much, much more!

I'm being facetious, though.

Whenever I fly GA, I like to use an app called CoPilot. Easy flight planning and W&B for aircraft that you program in (just takes a few minutes to plug the values from a POH into the respective fields and it will automatically calculate everything - including fuel burns for respective altitudes, etc.)

Push and roll, push and roll.
x-wind
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by x-wind »

I have a subscription to the e-Pub CD from nav Canada which has all the 56 day publications on it, which includes the CFS, in PDF.

The CFS is not found on any app, as far as I know but it is a necessary publication to reference.

If you've an iPhone or iPad you can save the CFS file in your iTunes library in the iBook section. Its likely easier on a non apple smart phone/ tablet.

I find itvery handy having a CFS in my pocket.

I've found ForeFlight very helpful when traveling in the states.

Outside of that, my calculator a bookmark for the AWWS (esspecially like the AESP material) the FIC on speed dial F key are most useful.

BEFAN5
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by BEFAN5 »

It would be nice if NavCanada would develop an app for NAVCANplan.

Sighter
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Sighter »

First off I just want to say my wife got me an Iphone last week, and after playing with all the podcasts and music downloads and setting up my email the thought came to to me to punch "aviation" into Itunes. Way too much to even read. I knew there would be a usefull discussion on Avcanada and you haven't let me down. Thanks. I am now going back to Itunes and start downloading.

CpnCrunch
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by CpnCrunch »

Air Navigation Pro is about the cheapest and best moving map navigation app.

laticsdave
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by laticsdave »

More free apps for the iphone:
Jet Fueling - pretty useful for simply converting volume to weight, or for calculating max fuel load;
touchPlan - good flight planning app. Seems to have all, or at least most Canadian and US airports and navaids, and many waypoints. It suggests that it will upload the FD's, but so far mine hasn't (maybe only available on US networks???), but you can input them manually. A reasonable backup for when you can't access your PC or when the usual flight planning program "sulks"!! This is a free app, and I've found that some airport data (runway lengths, etc) have been incorrect.
iE6B - self explanatory (I hope!).

Return to “Internet and Computer Help”