Page 1 of 1

2012 Porter FO Reqt's?

Posted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:27 pm
by Pete
What does Porter currently want for FO's?

I have about 2800 hours...ATPL's written, multi turbine FO etc etc. I want to apply but not if they are going to trash my resume because I am short what they need. Any updated info? Thanks.

Re: 2012 Porter FO Reqt's?

Posted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:35 pm
by aerosexual
They seem to be sticking to their 3,000 hour requirements with ATPL's signed off. That could change at any time, and you don't know until you apply. It's definitely worth a shot if it's where you want to go.

Re: 2012 Porter FO Reqt's?

Posted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:10 pm
by rapid602
I have an ATPL. and lots of turbine and Multi PIC and I haven't heard anything.

Re: 2012 Porter FO Reqt's?

Posted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:59 am
by altiplano
Porter has hired lots of guys without ATPLs and zero command time beyond the CPL... many of those guys are captain now?!?!

I'd suggest applying with whatever you have and make a friend there, that is the biggest thing you can do to get a call. They have been losing lots of guys over the past year and that trend will continue I'd expect.

Re: 2012 Porter FO Reqt's?

Posted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:28 am
by loopa
Pete wrote:What does Porter currently want for FO's?

I have about 2800 hours...ATPL's written, multi turbine FO etc etc. I want to apply but not if they are going to trash my resume because I am short what they need. Any updated info? Thanks.
With all do respect Pete, I sure hope that this hasn't been your attitude towards achieving employment for the last 2800 hours? It kind of sounds like you see it to be a waste of time to upload a resume and cover letter unless you know that they are going to call you for sure. This is how I perceive it, perhaps it's not the way you intended to come off. Man, wouldn't it be nice if we knew we were going to get a guaranteed interview for every job that we apply for?

The best thing you can do is write up your cletter, update your resume, and be positively spirited because any bitterness will shine right through in your interview.

If what I see is not how you intended to come off then I do apologize for the critique!

Good Luck! 8)

Re: 2012 Porter FO Reqt's?

Posted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:56 pm
by Pete
In no way is that how I meant it or how I am. But no need to apologize either.

Re: 2012 Porter FO Reqt's?

Posted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:59 pm
by flying4dollars
Pete wrote:What does Porter currently want for FO's?

I have about 2800 hours...ATPL's written, multi turbine FO etc etc. I want to apply but not if they are going to trash my resume because I am short what they need. Any updated info? Thanks.
WestJet seems to hire higher time guys, but that hasn't stopped me from applying with less time. Guess you'll never know unless you apply right? Give it a go. If you don't get a call, keep applying in the future.

Re: 2012 Porter FO Reqt's?

Posted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 5:10 am
by dignifly
An ATPL is a necessary requirement to be hired and you will not be offered a job until you have it. I'm not sure if they are even interviewing people without it. Internal references are huge and will get you to the interview table. Right now 3000 hours is the minimum but I believe you can still get interviewed below that and put into a pool. From what I understand it has been tough finding quality 3000 hour applicants (yep, hours arent everything. Attitude and work ethic is) and people who won't bolt to the air Canada lcc or whatever it is they're hiring for. But I digress, what I'm trying to say is that 3000 hour minimum might change so if you got a good attitude, interested in working for a solid company and won't bolt the second your ppc ink dries then apply and keep updating, you just never know...

Re: 2012 Porter FO Reqt's?

Posted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:37 am
by altiplano
An ATPL is a necessary requirement to be hired and you will not be offered a job until you have it.
Maybe that's new - as I said earlier, many people there have been hired with only CPL and even had to do PIC under supervision to get enough hours to make their "A" and get an upgrade.

I'd apply anyway, I remember a poster on this forum once wrote: "apply for the jobs you want, not only the ones you think you can get" - or something like that... Good advice I reckon.

Re: 2012 Porter FO Reqt's?

Posted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:03 am
by cdnpilot77
altiplano wrote:I'd apply anyway, I remember a poster on this forum once wrote: "apply for the jobs you want, not only the ones you think you can get" - or something like that... Good advice I reckon.
Exactly, what's the worst that will happen? They won't call? It's not like you are going to get blacklisted for applying to reputable companies and aiming high.

Re: 2012 Porter FO Reqt's?

Posted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 2:30 pm
by Doc
Pete wrote:What does Porter currently want for FO's?

I have about 2800 hours...ATPL's written,
That's nice. Having the "written" is like saying your MBA is from Ornge! Why haven't you got the actual license? Go get it. 2800 hours? You should have the licence.
It's a "dog eat dog" world out there. They may well look poorly on you if you're not qualified for a position you apply for? It brings into question your ability to follow simple instructions. If they "ask for" 3000 hours and an ATPL, you don't have that.....get it. Then apply.

Re: 2012 Porter FO Reqt's?

Posted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 4:11 pm
by loopa
cdnpilot77 wrote:
altiplano wrote:I'd apply anyway, I remember a poster on this forum once wrote: "apply for the jobs you want, not only the ones you think you can get" - or something like that... Good advice I reckon.
Exactly, what's the worst that will happen? They won't call? It's not like you are going to get blacklisted for applying to reputable companies and aiming high.
+1 I applied for my current job competing with a bunch of mpic guys and experienced commercial pilot's thinking I had no chance to get hired. I got hired within 3 days.

Never hurts! 8)

Re: 2012 Porter FO Reqt's?

Posted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 4:25 pm
by Pete
That's nice. Having the "written" is like saying your MBA is from Ornge! Why haven't you got the actual license? Go get it. 2800 hours? You should have the licence.
It's a "dog eat dog" world out there. They may well look poorly on you if you're not qualified for a position you apply for? It brings into question your ability to follow simple instructions. If they "ask for" 3000 hours and an ATPL, you don't have that.....get it. Then apply.
This is what I was worried about. But thanks to the positive replies, I will apply and go for it. *EDITED BY AHRAMIN. Let's leave the name calling out of it*

From their job posting:

Pilots that do not meet the minimum requirements may be considered based on experience and other factors. Translation (to me)...give it a shot.

Re: 2012 Porter FO Reqt's?

Posted: Thu May 03, 2012 9:47 am
by kayjay
I know for a fact that pilots have been interviewed and hired at Porter with less than 3000 hours, the ones that i know had ATPL's at the time but i have heard of guys getting hired without them. Internal recommends are huge at Porter just like at WS, if you can get a few of those it will go a long way.

Re: 2012 Porter FO Reqt's?

Posted: Wed May 09, 2012 3:41 pm
by Kingairdriver
People have been hired in the past with no ATPL, but not any more. ATPL is a hard requirement.