iPad app

Discuss aviation related software and devices here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

x-wind
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: iPad app

Post by x-wind »

I hang the bad elf pro off a little hook beside me in the cockpit. The bad elf does not work with my natioal geographic map app, google maps, apple maps or anything else on my iPad that has location data.

Sky vector has really good VFR data in Canada. But it is not an iPad app it can be used with most internet browsers.
---------- ADS -----------

b787av8r
Rank 0
Rank 0

iPad Apps and Use in the Air...

Post by b787av8r »

A question comes to mind: Are all of these Apps and are your devices approved for use by TC?

x-wind
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by x-wind »

Foreflight is approved for use as a preflight and inflight tool. as is the iPad.

Sky Vector is not approved for anything but I've found it useful in some situations for preflight planning.

Here are some links that are useful towards understanding the rules surrounding electronic hardware & software:

http://www.copanational.org/DYKAO1.cfm

http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviation/o ... appendix_h

AirFrame
Rank 10
Rank 10

Re: iPad Apps and Use in the Air...

Post by AirFrame »

b787av8r wrote:A question comes to mind: Are all of these Apps and are your devices approved for use by TC?
For VFR flight, TC approval isn't required.

x-wind
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by x-wind »

You don't require TC approval for IFR flight either. The distinction for TC approval is whether or not your an air operator.

You do still have to follow the CARs for pre-flight planning & in flight information for whatever your mission is. If you think you need a VNC & a CFS for a VFR flight - Foreflight is the only one offering this info, as far as I know, on iPhones & iPads.

http://www.copanational.org/DYKAO1.cfm

MIQ
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by MIQ »

I'm reviving this year old thread because I'm looking for some updated information and maybe a general consensus.
I finally want to buy the iPad as well, partially for a regular use at home but also for VFR (and possibly IFR) flying. I've been doing some rather long VFR Cross Countries lately and thought the iPad + Foreflight would be a great tool to have on the side.

I'm looking to get the Retina Mini and am trying to decide between the Wifi only model and 3G version. I'm not intending to use the iPad outside of Wifi areas so I don't need the 3G function and I don't want to get an extra data plan for it. Now, in terms of the GPS receiver for Foreflight etc. do you find that the GPS receiver built in the iPad is good enough and/or are there any notable differences in accuracy between an external GPS receiver (Bald Elf, Garmin GLO) and the built in one?
Would be nice to have it all in one, however if the accuracy of an external receiver is better, then I'd probably rather get that.
I'd like to hear some input from you guys who have been using it. I think I'll mostly use it for VFR flights in lower levels.

AirFrame
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by AirFrame »

MIQ wrote:I'm looking to get the Retina Mini and am trying to decide between the Wifi only model and 3G version. I'm not intending to use the iPad outside of Wifi areas so I don't need the 3G function and I don't want to get an extra data plan for it. Now, in terms of the GPS receiver for Foreflight etc. do you find that the GPS receiver built in the iPad is good enough and/or are there any notable differences in accuracy between an external GPS receiver (Bald Elf, Garmin GLO) and the built in one?
Keep in mind that the non-3G versions don't have GPS... Or at least, when I had an iPad2, you needed the 3G version to get the internal GPS.

I used AirNavPro on the iPad2, and it was awesome. Now that i'm on Android, I still have AirNavPro, and it's a little less awesome as they haven't ported the 3D synthetic vision to Android yet. But for navigating/moving map/etc. it's still excellent.

I have recently started using FltPlanGo, which is provided by FltPLan.com and provides totally free copies of the Canadian VNC, VTA, and CFS. The navigation functions are a little less intuitive to use, but the free up-to-date charts are worth the slight hassle to me.

FenderManDan
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by FenderManDan »

MIQ wrote:I'm reviving this year old thread because I'm looking for some updated information and maybe a general consensus.
I finally want to buy the iPad as well, partially for a regular use at home but also for VFR (and possibly IFR) flying. I've been doing some rather long VFR Cross Countries lately and thought the iPad + Foreflight would be a great tool to have on the side.

I'm looking to get the Retina Mini and am trying to decide between the Wifi only model and 3G version. I'm not intending to use the iPad outside of Wifi areas so I don't need the 3G function and I don't want to get an extra data plan for it. Now, in terms of the GPS receiver for Foreflight etc. do you find that the GPS receiver built in the iPad is good enough and/or are there any notable differences in accuracy between an external GPS receiver (Bald Elf, Garmin GLO) and the built in one?
Would be nice to have it all in one, however if the accuracy of an external receiver is better, then I'd probably rather get that.
I'd like to hear some input from you guys who have been using it. I think I'll mostly use it for VFR flights in lower levels.
Friend of mine uses retina mini 3G and I have "regular" mini wifi with ForeFlight and external GPS (Dual XGPS150). Accuracy on average seems the same, sometimes very accurate sometimes off 50-200 ft. Ok for VFR and IFR enroute. FF has approach plates geo-referenced and overlaid, but I would not use them for the reference unless you can have a good visual on runway 500 ft above circuit height.

We both agreed that while retina mini has richer screen viewing experience (not by much) on the ground it is actually worse in the air than the regular mini for some reason. My screen is way more legible in direct sunlight YMMV.

External GPS bluetooth connectivity becomes unreliable with various iOS updates and patches and the external unit firmware must be updated. Which is a pain in the rear when you are in the plane ready to start and your iPAd can't connect to the GPS. Be aware of the updates.

I have a built in garmin waas IFR unit so this is just my reference, backup SA tool.

SkyWriterSoft
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by SkyWriterSoft »

I agree with FenderManDan. The Bluetooth connectivity can be problematic. The accuracy seems to be about the same between external and internal GPS.
But I like the external receivers as I can move the iPad around without losing sight of the satellites.
The latest iPad Air 2 has the new M8 chip so it can output air pressure / altitude. The new mini did not get the M8 chip for some reason.

MIQ
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by MIQ »

Thank you for your replies. It seems that there's almost no difference between an external an the internal GPS. I decided that I will start with the version with the integrated GPS because it seems that the external causes too many issues with the connection. I was thinking of not doing an external GPS bluetooth receiver because I know how much a pain the bluetooth connectivity can be at times so I wanted to go with the Lightning Connector Bad Elf Pro however also here there seems to be plenty of people who have reliability issues with the Bad Elf connector... After all, if the internal GPS receiver is essentially just as good, it probably makes more sense to get that one then.

Return to “Aviation Software & Devices”