What does Air Canada want to see on a resume

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

CRJ-705
Rank 2
Rank 2

What does Air Canada want to see on a resume

Post by CRJ-705 »

just curious what type of experience guys have when getting hired with Air Canada (TT, MPIC, Turbine PIC/SIC, etc)

Also how important/better is MPIC Turbine time compared to just MPIC time?
---------- ADS -----------

NEBOJSA
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: What does Air Canada want to see on a resume

Post by NEBOJSA »

I am sure that they would be happy to hear say ....willing to work for minimum wage.

nm

ToolShed
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by ToolShed »

CRJ-705 wrote:just curious what type of experience guys have when getting hired with Air Canada (TT, MPIC, Turbine PIC/SIC, etc)

Also how important/better is MPIC Turbine time compared to just MPIC time?
Seminole time over a B1900 time?....um...serious?

cj555
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by cj555 »

ToolShed wrote: Seminole time over a B1900 time?....um...serious?
I am pretty sure AC looks for turbine PIC time on aircraft over 12,500kg with an ATPL license as a bare minimum. If all you have is MPIC piston time, you're probably applying at AC too early.

I've heard of guys getting hired recently with just under 3000 TT, I think about half of that was MPIC time on the Lear 35. Basically what it boils down to is if you don't have PIC turbine time, you won't hear from AC.

I'd be interested to hear what else AC looks for on a resume (besides flying experience/time etc). For example how much weight do they place on University degrees, masters degrees, work experience outside of aviation (for example accounting etc)? Or is it just about flying hours/experience?

flying4dollars
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by flying4dollars »

cj555 wrote:
ToolShed wrote: Seminole time over a B1900 time?....um...serious?
I am pretty sure AC looks for turbine PIC time on aircraft over 12,500kg with an ATPL license as a bare minimum. If all you have is MPIC piston time, you're probably applying at AC too early.

I've heard of guys getting hired recently with just under 3000 TT, I think about half of that was MPIC time on the Lear 35. Basically what it boils down to is if you don't have PIC turbine time, you won't hear from AC.

I'd be interested to hear what else AC looks for on a resume (besides flying experience/time etc). For example how much weight do they place on University degrees, masters degrees, work experience outside of aviation (for example accounting etc)? Or is it just about flying hours/experience?
Guessing you meant lbs, not kg's. Many friends of mine who have just been hired at AC had experience at jazz and were 1900/metro captains. I think 3000TT with turbine PIC (preferably 12,500lbs MTOW) is probably a good starting point. Experience and education make a difference. I'm sure there have been guys with less than 3000hrs, but were ex military or corporate pilots. Who knows. I think the more you can say yes to on the questions matrix when you apply, the better chance you have of getting called.

FL320
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by FL320 »

Two close friends are in the interview process: one has 2300tt with King Air PIC time and more than 1000 as instructor on C150; the other has 1900 hrs TT with King Air FO and PIC time.

Last edited by FL320 on Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

FL320 wrote:Two close friends are in the interview process: one has 2300tt with King Air PIC time and more than 1000 as instructor on C150; the other has 1900 hrs TT with King Air FO and PIC time.
Seriously? Those guys are probably great guys, but that seems like some pretty low time. Is that reflective of the experience they're hiring these days?

Fanblade
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Fanblade »

Bede wrote:
FL320 wrote:Two close friends are in the interview process: one has 2300tt with King Air PIC time and more than 1000 as instructor on C150; the other has 1900 hrs TT with King Air FO and PIC time.
Seriously? Those guys are probably great guys, but that seems like some pretty low time. Is that reflective of the experience they're hiring these days?
The experience level is all over the place. You meet the min requirements. You score high on the interview. Your in.

It would appear min experience is an ATPL with turbine PIC time. Not many achieve that with less than 3000hrs. But yes there are some that do.

cj555
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by cj555 »

Fanblade wrote: The experience level is all over the place. You meet the min requirements. You score high on the interview. Your in.

It would appear min experience is an ATPL with turbine PIC time. Not many achieve that with less than 3000hrs. But yes there are some that do.
I think that sounds about right: The min requirements are 3000TT, with Turbine PIC and ATPL.

What I am wondering, is how long it takes to get to that level of experience (that AC will be interested in you). I have heard that from the time you finish you CPL, a good estimate is that it will take 10 years before you get hired at AC.

I think that is a realisitic estimate because it allows for years with very low flying time, and time out of work, which is probably very likely. Any thoughts on the actual time from CPL to the min requirements for AC?

cj555
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by cj555 »

Here are the minimum requirements (taken directly from Air Canada website):

Job Requirements
•1500 hours of fixed wing flying time
•Completion of schooling to the university entrance level
•Ability to pass the Air Canada and Transport Canada medical and visual acuity requirements for a Category 1 medical certificate
•Canadian Airline Transport Pilot Licence (ATPL), current Instrument Rating and Multi-Engine endorsement
•Canadian citizenship or landed immigrant status

Pilot applications far exceed job vacancies, so preference is given to candidates with qualifications beyond the basic requirements. Examples of desirable additional qualifications include, but are not limited to:

•University degree or college diploma
•Aviation College degree or diploma
•Commercial or military flight experience
•Jet and/or glass cockpit experience

I doubt anyone has been hired at AC with 1500TT, the posting should read "Min 2500TT, with at least 1000hrs Turbine MPIC."

Of the "additional" qualifications, which criteria receives the most weight?

sanjet
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by sanjet »

I've seen guys with +3000 hrs on heavy turboprop f/o get on with a couple of hundred hours pic on c152's. Broad experience levels are recruited. All kinds. The best you can do is apply and hope you get a call.

retired or retarded
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by retired or retarded »

People can read what ever they want into it and speculate all they want but start applying when you meet the requirements on the webpage. Someone in my class in 08 only had piston PIC but quite a bit of time. Do well in the interviews and they can teach you the rest.

tiguan
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by tiguan »

I know a guy who got called for the interview with 2200 hour, only 500 multi.

loopa
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by loopa »

My friend got a call at 2700 hours and the only pic time was from multi instruction on a seminole, the rest F/O time with above 12.5 and efis.

Taxi
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Taxi »

I would like to know if they were people who got hired without PIC turbine or PIC multiturbine and less than 3000 TT, because got the call doesn't mean getting hired. What i heard or read, Air Canada is calling everybody, but i don't think everybody do the job. I'm wondering what kind of experience are on the groundschool right now and those who got the call for the next groundschool.

loopa
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by loopa »

Taxi wrote:I would like to know if they were people who got hired without PIC turbine or PIC multiturbine and less than 3000 TT, because got the call doesn't mean getting hired. What i heard or read, Air Canada is calling everybody, but i don't think everybody do the job. I'm wondering what kind of experience are on the groundschool right now and those who got the call for the next groundschool.
I'm pretty sure when you get a call, you have an equal chance to get it or blow it. Perhaps the guys with pic turbine time could answer some of the questions with more relativity to what the interviewers were looking for. Other than that I don't see people getting a call for entertainment purpose. I'm sure they'll interview more than hire, but that doesn't mean they're weeding out lower time guys.

frog
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by frog »

According to the guys who interviewed me, they are hiring almost half of the pilots they invite to the interview.

cj555
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by cj555 »

Taxi wrote: I'm wondering what kind of experience are on the groundschool right now and those who got the call for the next groundschool.

I am currently 30 years old, working as an accountant and considering getting into aviation. This would put me close to 40 when I'm eligable to apply at AC.

Does anyone know if age plays a factor in the AC interviews? Are there older guys (ie mid to late thirties) in current AC ground school/recently hired? Or are they only looking for the young guys (mid to late twenties)?

WestCoastPilot
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by WestCoastPilot »

frog wrote:According to the guys who interviewed me, they are hiring almost half of the pilots they invite to the interview.
You sure about that?

I interviewed recently and was told a quarter to a third of those interviewed will be hired.

I hope you are correct :-)

frog
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by frog »

I hope I am correct too, my interview was earlier this month and the guy said around 40 %.

Return to “Air Canada”