What does Air Canada want to see on a resume

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Tdicommuter
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: What does Air Canada want to see on a resume

Post by Tdicommuter »

Do yourself a favor and go to WestJet instead.

The reason I say that is quality of life counts for something. At Air Canada we do not seem to place value on that in any regard. For example your first year at Air Canada you have zero vacation. After working a full year you get 2 weeks plus 9 stat days ( there are more federal days but we don't get them). To use them one would assume it actually reduces your flying but alas it does not really. Take one week vacation in a month and you will still work at least 10 days. For some reason we have only given a vacation day credit at 2.55 hours credit. Take ten days and you get 25.5 hours of pay... So if it's a busy month you might still work 12 days. At WestJet a day vacation is worth a day off your month. You also get 6 week's vacation at WestJet on day one. When you put a price on the additional week's work over your career at AC, versus WestJet you are missing a big amount of cash at AC.

Next pension.
WestJet will give you 20 percent contribution into your RRSP, TFSA, or non registered savings account. So the compounding interest on the higher company contribution over your 30 year career is worth more than making 350k as a 777 captain for your last five years. Also at AC we got stuck with a CWIP plan which means i pay into it like a DC plan, but I get penalized for leaving before 60, and if I die I don't get all my money. At WestJet if you have enough saved and want to retire at 52... Fill your boots.

Our working conditions, and quality of life do not justify coming to AC.
---------- ADS -----------

a220hereicome
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by a220hereicome »

Tdicommuter wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:34 pm …and if I die I don't get all my money.
Sorry to break it to you, but if you die you don’t get any of your money. One of the many downsides of dying.

Ever seen a U-Haul behind a hearse?

:lol:

RVR6000
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by RVR6000 »

charlo wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 5:59 pm been applying for the last 5 years before the pandemic, FO 330/737 at ts, some twin otter pic, not much but anyway never got a call and probably never will.
That is odd… given you work for Transat you’re probably a francophone. So you meet pretty much all their requirements.

Did you only complete High School? And no college or Uni.

Either your resume is poorly written, or being only a high school grad is holding you back.

RVR6000
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by RVR6000 »

NotDirty! wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:59 pm Well to put your conspiracy theories to the test, my PIT course 4 years ago (over 30 in the class) consisted of 2 females, about 5 visible minorities, and 4 francophones. A look through the other new hire groups over the past umpteen years, the majority are white male anglophones.
Very true, to say AC caters to minorities, females, and Francophones is a weak argument. Just look at the overall pilot group, vast majority is white male anglophones.

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

If you want the best odds of getting hired at AC in the next few years, then what you need on your resume is “I work at Jazz”. If you do not have this on your resume, then you are completing with all of the other OTS applicants for the non-Jazz quota hiring spots.

This is not an endorsement for Jazz. Just a reality.

Having said that, Jazz applicants must meet whatever the AC published minimum experience requirements are. Many do not. Perhaps that will result in more AC OTS hiring.

Dias
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Dias »

There's nothing you can do about the Jazz deal. I'd be worried about all the former ex-pat widebody pilots from Cathay, etc., that are desperate to come home to Canada. Those will be your competition.

hamstandard
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by hamstandard »

RVR6000 wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:46 pm
NotDirty! wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:59 pm Well to put your conspiracy theories to the test, my PIT course 4 years ago (over 30 in the class) consisted of 2 females, about 5 visible minorities, and 4 francophones. A look through the other new hire groups over the past umpteen years, the majority are white male anglophones.
Very true, to say AC caters to minorities, females, and Francophones is a weak argument. Just look at the overall pilot group, vast majority is white male anglophones.
That is based on the reality that the vast majority of people who freely decided to pursue a career as an airline pilot fit that demographic.

As you can see here, major airlines have specific hiring policies to try and go around that:

https://www.flightglobal.com/strategy/u ... ?adredir=1

Perhaps that is why I have heard more than one say that specifically because of policies like this, they have started their own quiet, small method of doing the exact opposite for retribution of how they are negatively affected, while in the past they were very specific about equal treatment.

columbia
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by columbia »

charlo wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 5:59 pm been applying for the last 5 years before the pandemic, FO 330/737 at ts, some twin otter pic, not much but anyway never got a call and probably never will. If you're not at jazz good luck, having a degree, aviation college or military flying will help a lot. If you're a girl or a minority that will also help !
It's kinda risky for ts pilots to apply now. Who knows what will happen in the next 5-10 years, AC could try again to take TRZ over again. Made sens before, will make sens again after covid. Anybody higher than 2 years at TRZ could see a big drop in seniority if , IF this happens.. Not saying it will, but there's always a possibility.

jpilot77
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by jpilot77 »

columbia wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 2:49 pm
charlo wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 5:59 pm been applying for the last 5 years before the pandemic, FO 330/737 at ts, some twin otter pic, not much but anyway never got a call and probably never will. If you're not at jazz good luck, having a degree, aviation college or military flying will help a lot. If you're a girl or a minority that will also help !
It's kinda risky for ts pilots to apply now. Who knows what will happen in the next 5-10 years, AC could try again to take TRZ over again. Made sens before, will make sens again after covid. Anybody higher than 2 years at TRZ could see a big drop in seniority if , IF this happens.. Not saying it will, but there's always a possibility.
What the feds and EASA were asking AC to give up in terms of slots I don’t think AC will be buying Transat going forward.

Welcome to Redneck Airlines. We might not get you there but we'll get you close!
Latitude
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Latitude »

jpilot77 wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 4:20 pm
columbia wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 2:49 pm
What the feds and EASA were asking AC to give up in terms of slots I don’t think AC will be buying Transat going forward.
If it didn’t happen during the pandemic it’s never going to happen outside it, when both airlines can survive on their own, simply because of ‘’ competition ‘’ :roll:

sportingrifle
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by sportingrifle »

rudder wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 3:03 pm If you want the best odds of getting hired at AC in the next few years, then what you need on your resume is “I work at Jazz”. If you do not have this on your resume, then you are completing with all of the other OTS applicants for the non-Jazz quota hiring spots.

Having said that, Jazz applicants must meet whatever the AC published minimum experience requirements are. Many do not. Perhaps that will result in more AC OTS hiring.
What Rudder said is true, but things are changing, and the Jazz quota is going to be a lot smaller than it was. Having Jazz on your resume is still a good way to AC, but so will be multi crew command time, 705 jet time, military time, and a university degree.

JoeyBarton
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by JoeyBarton »

sportingrifle wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 11:20 pm
rudder wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 3:03 pm If you want the best odds of getting hired at AC in the next few years, then what you need on your resume is “I work at Jazz”. If you do not have this on your resume, then you are completing with all of the other OTS applicants for the non-Jazz quota hiring spots.

What Rudder said is true, but things are changing, and the Jazz quota is going to be a lot smaller than it was. Having Jazz on your resume is still a good way to AC, but so will be multi crew command time, 705 jet time, military time, and a university degree.
Care to elaborate why the jazz quota will be less?

RoAF-Mig21
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by RoAF-Mig21 »

JoeyBarton wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 5:46 am
sportingrifle wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 11:20 pm

Care to elaborate why the jazz quota will be less?
The only way "Jazz Quota" will be less is IF Jazz gets absorbed into mainline. (And that's a big IF). Once this pandemic is over, I believe the shortage will be even worse than 2019 levels. If I learned one thing in this industry is that you can always expect the unexpected. I really didn't think GGN and Sky Regional would be absorbed into Jazz, yet here we are.

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

sportingrifle wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 11:20 pm What Rudder said is true, but things are changing, and the Jazz quota is going to be a lot smaller than it was. Having Jazz on your resume is still a good way to AC, but so will be multi crew command time, 705 jet time, military time, and a university degree.
On an absolute basis I believe you are correct. The total number of Jazz pilots that will migrate to AC via the hiring quota obligation between 2022-2025 will be far less that the total number that migrated between 2015-2020. This is because the AC pilot staffing requirements and retirement attrition rates will not add up to those seen in the previous ‘boom’ hiring cycle.

However, the Jazz hiring quota of 60% of AC PIT spots (measured on an annualized basis) remains intact. This is actually a concession as both GGN and SKV had their own quotas (for an aggregate Express quota obligation well above 60%) but despite consolidation with Jazz, the Express ratio remains at 60%. Perhaps that is what you are referring to as an increased opportunity for OTS applicants to AC.

There is however a near term obligation on the part of AC via a Jazz/ALPA MOS from March 2021:

“Notwithstanding Section 3-14.01, when Pilot hiring at Air Canada is planned to be less than one hundred (100) Pilots per Year, Air Canada shall offer no less than seventy percent (70%) of its new hire Positions to Pilots on the Pilot System Seniority List who have applied. This shall remain in effect until December 31, 2025.”

I don’t expect a year of sub-100 AC hiring other than 2022. But if AC does resume hiring in the fall, it will be 70% Jazz until Dec 31.

JoeyBarton
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by JoeyBarton »

So it might be a better cycle for OTS hiring than it was previously.

sportingrifle
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by sportingrifle »

Yes. AC constantly re-evaluates it’s needs and opportunities. Upgrading pilots has been a challenge. It will need pilots who are capable of upgrading in the medium term future and has the opportunity
now to hire pilots with the demonstrated ability to do so.

link821
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by link821 »

Does AC require pilots that flow from Jazz to do 2 yos at Jazz before considering hiring them? Say a candidate with previous 704 command time on an aircraft greater then 12500.

Transition9er2
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Transition9er2 »

link821 wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 7:13 pm Does AC require pilots that flow from Jazz to do 2 yos at Jazz before considering hiring them? Say a candidate with previous 704 command time on an aircraft greater then 12500.
There’s no minimum time requirement to flow from jazz. As long as you meet the requirements of the posting at the time (typically ATPL) you can apply. From there everything is done based on seniority of the pool of applicants.

Interviews are scheduled per jazz seniority.
Job offers based on jazz seniority.

This can actually be quite frustrating. Frustrating in that you can meet all the requirements when you apply and can be moved through the hiring process quickly. However, as senior Jazz pilots also meet the requirements and apply, they’ll slot in ahead of you until there’s either no one left, or the hiring window is typically around your seniority level with jazz. So theoretically, there’s a possibility that you can start at jazz and submit your AC application and start the hiring process right away and actually get hired quite quickly. However there’s also a possibility that you could start at jazz, go through the hiring process at AC but end up waiting well over a year for a job offer as senior jazz pilots slot in ahead of you.

Hope that makes sense.

T.

link821
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by link821 »

Transition9er2 wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 7:46 pm
link821 wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 7:13 pm Does AC require pilots that flow from Jazz to do 2 yos at Jazz before considering hiring them? Say a candidate with previous 704 command time on an aircraft greater then 12500.
There’s no minimum time requirement to flow from jazz. As long as you meet the requirements of the posting at the time (typically ATPL) you can apply. From there everything is done based on seniority of the pool of applicants.

This can actually be quite frustrating. Frustrating in that you can meet all the requirements when you apply and can be moved through the hiring process quickly. However, as senior Jazz pilots also meet the requirements and apply, they’ll slot in ahead of you until there’s either no one left, or the hiring window is typically around your seniority level with jazz. So theoretically, there’s a possibility that you can start at jazz and submit your AC application and start the hiring process right away and actually get hired quite quickly. However there’s also a possibility that you could start at jazz, go through the hiring process at AC but end up waiting well over a year for a job offer as senior jazz pilots slot in ahead of you.

Hope that makes sense.

T.

Thanks for your response! I didn't realize offers were based off of ones seniority at Jazz. So someone with 3000hr and 1 year at Jazz could technically be hired after someone with 2000hrs but has been at Jazz 2-3 years?

Transition9er2
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Transition9er2 »

link821 wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 8:41 pm
Transition9er2 wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 7:46 pm

Hope that makes sense.

T.

Thanks for your response! I didn't realize offers were based off of ones seniority at Jazz. So someone with 3000hr and 1 year at Jazz could technically be hired after someone with 2000hrs but has been at Jazz 2-3 years?
That’s correct. If you’re new to jazz and want to flow to AC, it’s all about timing and has nothing to do with experience. Well, obviously you have to meet the min requirements for the posting and pass all phases of the hiring process… just because you’re coming from jazz doesn’t mean it’s a guaranteed job offer.

Also, and some may hate reading this, but the drawback to joining jazz as a college grad is that there are a significant number of “senior” pilots who can’t meet the min requirements or are having a difficult time meeting the min requirements ie. picus is very difficult to get and the amount of flying over the last 2 years has been low and there’s only a 12 month shelf life for picus, meaning there could be some that are in the position of needing to claw back a lot of hours towards their ATPL.

If I had to guess, I would say there’s a window of opportunity at Jazz right now for a new hire with experience to flow to AC quite quickly while a large number of senior pilots make up lost ground to qualify for the chance to interview.

I’m not trying to sh!t on the college kids, it’s simply the nature of the program.

That being said, to most of the college kids credits, they’re a resourceful bunch and will have no doubt found ways to get the hours necessary to keep them close to getting their ATPL’s. It won’t take long for a large number of them to start flowing to AC as things start moving again.

This is all just my thoughts based on what I’m seeing. If there’s someone “in the know” that can speak to this in more detail, they would be your information source to follow.

T.

Return to “Air Canada”