iPad EFB

Discuss aviation related software and devices here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

cpt.sam
Rank 3
Rank 3

iPad EFB

Post by cpt.sam »

Hello
Does anyone have any serious suggestions concerning iPad EFB introduction and / or mounting for a Beech 1900?
I am looking to go completely paperless, and incorporate a flight following aspect with two way text capability as well.
This is my first pitch, so help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Sam
---------- ADS -----------

loopy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Re: iPad EFB

Post by loopy »

Similar to the above. My outfit is considering mounts for the B200 and C560 for going paperless using iPADs.

Sulako
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by Sulako »

On our C560, we use a ram mount attached to the each side of the dash rather than on the controls. IE on the FO's side it's directly clipped on the dash above the battery temperature gauge and the ipad is kinda in the bottom right corner of the FO's front window. It's pretty much a perfect location - doesn't obstruct the view of any instrument (we have lead-acid so the battery temp gauge is ornamental). We use a piece of cloth between the ram mount and the dash so it doesn't dig in too bad. Works great.

loopy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by loopy »

Sulako, are you approved for paperless? Are the Ram mounts approved? If you're approved. I'm guessing that you have a hook-up for power to each unit?

Sulako
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by Sulako »

We have 2 AC outlets in the cockpit for power. That's the biggest obstacle - the wiring took a few days and the STC on the 560 cost 13k (!). But while we had that done we added a couple of AC outlets in the back for the pax to plug their iPhones / laptops in as well, to help justify the cost.

We use the iPad 2 - as part of the approval process you need to demonstrate that the ipad can withstand rapid decompression. Fortunately for us, the Kaboom project did exactly that, and got FAA approval, then made the certificates downloadable for free. TC will accept the FAA certificates. Link to iPad2 certs here: http://www.paperlesscockpit.com/projects/ipad2/

paperlesscockpit.com has some really good stuff that's transferable over to TC btw.

loopy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by loopy »

Thanks for the info. Very usefull.

loopy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by loopy »

Any issue with the Ram mounts not being permanent?

ajet32
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by ajet32 »

The employer I am on leave from(large YYC oil company) is going paperless with the IPad. Transport had issues with the mounting hardware. They are presently getting an STC for a mount to replace the side mount approach plate holder on the CL65 series aircraft.
They didn't require ac 110 but the requirement for a spare IPad came up. Last I heard they were awaiting final approval.

TG
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by TG »

I would Google "iPad Kneeboard Sport" and forget about those Ram mounts things for the time being.

Bradley Tucker
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Bradley Tucker »

What is the legality of using the iPad for charts and plates for recreational IFR flying. What would people people recommend as a source of charts and plates?

Thanks

nightbird
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by nightbird »

Very legal. Foreflight is pretty good, fltplan.com for free approach plates (not as good but all free)

Bradley Tucker
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Bradley Tucker »

Thanks nightbird

Oxi
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Oxi »

Cpt. Sam does your company use paper and you specifically want to move to iPad stuff because they might have an issue with getting it certified with TC.

Sulako
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by Sulako »

For what it's worth, we ended up with kneeboards for the iPads after TC chucked a fit over the ram mounts.

The only other question they had was "how can you prove that the databases are up to date". Foreflight has a really handy feature where you can log into their webpage and it will clearly show the status of data downloads on the iPads. Green means the data is up-to-date and Red means it ain't.

Return to “Aviation Software & Devices”