AC Pilots Successfully Defend Air Ontario Pilots Lawsuit.

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Raymond Hall
Rank 7
Rank 7

AC Pilots Successfully Defend Air Ontario Pilots Lawsuit.

Post by Raymond Hall »

This post is moved from a previous thread.

After 15 years of litigation that has gone all the way to the Supreme Court of Canada and back, the Ontario Supreme Court on Wednesday issued its final decision on liability, dismissing the suit on all of the pleaded grounds. The claim was filed in 1997 and has taken this long to work its way through the system to this final decision on liability. Intermediate proceedings included several motions resulting in 14 reported prior decisions from various levels of the courts, including the Supreme Court of Canada (see http://www.CanLII.org; search "Berry v. Pulley").

The lawsuit alleged that Air Canada pilots, by failing to follow through to implement the Picher arbitration award merging the seniority lists of the two disparate pilot groups, caused the Air Ontario pilots harm and damage (now totalling in the amount of hundreds of millions of dollars). The original lawsuit alleged damages in both contract and tort, but as a result of decisions of the courts in interim proceedings, the allegations that were based in contract were dismissed early on. The lawsuit was certified as a class action lawsuit, with seven separate classes of defendents within the Air Canada pilot group, defined primarily by the role that each "group" or "class" of individuals played in the alleged breaches, from no role at all (Class 7) to a very substantial role (Class 1).

I have posted the original PDF version of the decision on the Fly Past 60 web site. The document is 156 pages long, and 2.4 MB in size. Access to the decision there is available only by linking directly to the file itself, through the following link (there is no reference on that web site to the document, so don't go there looking for it):

http://www.flypast60.com/Documents/2012ONSC1790.pdf

Some preliminary observations and comments regarding this case and this decision:

The were five causes of action dealt with in this decision that included the torts of :
- unlawful conduct conspiracy;
- intentional interference with economic interest;
- breach of fiduciary duty;
- negligent misrepresentation; as well as
- eight other common issues.

Most of the causes of action were comprised of several required component elements, all of which were required to be satisfied in order for the cause to be sustained and liability to be found—an onerous requirement. Some component elements in some of the causes of action were found to be sustained against some of the classes of defendants, but no cause of action was sustained entirely against any or all of the defendent classes. Hence, the Plaintiff's claims failed on all grounds as a result.

It is interesting to note that the Court left the issue of costs to the parties to resolve. That issue alone could well eventually consume weeks of additional hearings before the taxing officer of the Court, given the 15 years of legal wrangling. A dispute as to the amount of costs payable might conceivably run into significant litigation in and of itself. Given the protracted length of proceedings, the ultimate award of costs payable to the Defendants could be quite sizeable.

With 15 years of litigation already completed and with the number of dollars at stake in the final outcome combined with the litigious nature of this dispute's history, it is quite likely that this litigation is anything but over yet.

One interesting excerpt from the decision:
"[475] Although not a ground to refuse relief, I note that if the damages claimed by the Plaintiffs were awarded, the 23 members of sub-classes 1, 3 and 5 would each be liable to pay $8,604,094.17 to the Plaintiffs."
Link Corrected
---------- ADS -----------

Last edited by Raymond Hall on Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
The Raven
Rank 6
Rank 6

Re: AC Pilots Successfully Defend Air Ontario Pilots Lawsuit

Post by The Raven »

Ray,

I just finished reading Justice Pepall's decision. It was fascinating. It went into more detail than any of the previous judgements. After reading it I have to say that I am very proud of the Air Canada pilots that led us through this mess. I will be e-mailing them to tell them how impressed I am.

One paragraph in the judgement pretty much sums up how the Air Canada pilots felt then, and now. (my emphasis added)

[239] He was one of 240 Air Canada pilots who were laid off in May 1993 and recalled in the spring of 1995. At that time, he was a First Officer. While on furlough, he had no income from Air Canada and no financial assistance from CALPA. He became an inactive CALPA member. At the time he had two children, ages ten and seven. Being on furlough, he retained a spot on the Air Canada seniority list. The value of this to him was that he would get a first right of recall and could pick up his career and continue with his advancement. He testified, and I accept, that he did not wish something adverse for the Connector pilots. They could apply to Air Canada but they just could not have his career.

Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

vic777
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by vic777 »

Raymond Hall wrote: The lawsuit alleged that Air Canada pilots, by failing to follow through to impliment the Picher arbitration award merging the seniority lists of the two disparate pilot groups, caused the Air Ontario pilots harm and damage.
Seems to be an accurate description of events.

Raymond Hall
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Raymond Hall »

Inverted2 wrote:http://www.flypast60.dom/Documents/2012ONSC1790.pdf

Above link does not work.
Sorry. Link above corrected. It should be FlyPast60.com, not FlyPast60.dom"

http://www.flypast60.com/Documents/2012ONSC1790.pdf

Raymond Hall
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Raymond Hall »

The Raven wrote:I just finished reading Justice Pepall's decision. It was fascinating.
For the lawyers, the pilots (from both sides of the dispute) and the general public, there is a great deal to be learned from this detailed, comprehensive and highly structured legal decision. The decision applies the governing legal principles to the factual circumstances (the evidence) while carefully including concern for the human implications of the resulting outcome (equity).

Justice Pepall first thoroughly set out the historical background to the dispute. Then, starting at page 98 of the decision, she dealt with the underlying legal issues in accordance with strongly established legal principles, supporting her conclusions by citing the governing case law precedents. One should note the structure of the legal reasoning in this decision: under each of the separate legal causes of action she identifies the governing constituent elements of the tort, describes the position of each of the parties in respect of those elements, then comes to a conclusion on each element to arrive at a final conclusion in respect of the specific head of each claim of damage.

For example, with respect to the first tort, she states:
[372] For the Defendants to be liable for the tort of unlawful act conspiracy, it must be established that:

(a) they acted in combination, that is, in concert, by agreement or with a common design;
(b) their conduct was unlawful;
(c) their conduct was directed towards the Plaintiffs;
(d) the Defendants should have known that, in the circumstances, injury to the Plaintiffs was likely to result; and
(e) their conduct caused injury to the Plaintiffs: Agribrands Purina Canada Inc. v. Kasamekas.'

[373] I will discuss each of these elements in turn.
An example of where the failure of any one of the essential constituent elements of an alleged tort really comes into focus is given in Paragraphs [443] to [453]:
[443] The third and last consideration is whether the Defendants' conduct caused the Plaintiff Class any injury or damage. Put differently, was the loss of chance caused by the Defendants? …

[453] I reach my decision that the Plaintiffs have failed for any one of the following reasons:
the timing of the final and binding Award rendered the value of any lost opportunity negligible;
the Defendants were entitled at law to decertify CALPA as the bargaining agent;
Air Canada's position; the inability of the pilots to legally strike;
the CIRB's involvement; and the need for ratification of any collective agreement containing the integrated list by the Air Canada pilots.

[459] Mr. [Hollis] Harris, now retired, was the CEO of Air Canada at the relevant time and was a credible and forceful witness. He also had had considerable experience in the airline business and with mergers. He was unequivocal in his evidence that he had the authority to decide whether to accept the Award and that he would not. "It would have been a financial disaster for Air Canada," he said. This made business sense. Amongst other things, acceptance of a merged list as contemplated by the Merger Policy would have ramifications for the other bargaining units and unions in Air Canada's operations and financial ramifications for Air Canada. In my view, the Plaintiffs' chance of success did not exceed the de minimis range contemplated by the case law.
One of the key factors at play in any judgment is the judge's concern about a potential appeal of the decision. Recent case law from the Supreme Court of Canada is strongly emphatic of the need for more than "just adequate" reasons. What is required are reasons that explain in considerable detail the underlying factors at play in the judge arriving at the conclusions presented. The reasoning must be "transparent."

From my preliminary review of this decision, I would suggest that Justice Pepall more than satisfied that requirement in this decision.

The Raven
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by The Raven »

vic777 wrote:
Raymond Hall wrote: The lawsuit alleged that Air Canada pilots, by failing to follow through to impliment the Picher arbitration award merging the seniority lists of the two disparate pilot groups, caused the Air Ontario pilots harm and damage.
Seems to be an accurate description of events.
That is what the lawsuit alleged. That is not what Justice Pepall found.

I can allege anything I want. Whether it is true or not is a different matter.

vic777, have you read the decision? I have read it in it's entirety. It took me a few hours to get through it, but it seems to me that Justice Pepall has a very good understanding of the issues. Try reading it. You will be enlightened.

crj_705
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by crj_705 »

The Raven wrote:Ray,

I just finished reading Justice Pepall's decision. It was fascinating. It went into more detail than any of the previous judgements. After reading it I have to say that I am very proud of the Air Canada pilots that led us through this mess. I will be e-mailing them to tell them how impressed I am.

One paragraph in the judgement pretty much sums up how the Air Canada pilots felt then, and now. (my emphasis added)

[239] He was one of 240 Air Canada pilots who were laid off in May 1993 and recalled in the spring of 1995. At that time, he was a First Officer. While on furlough, he had no income from Air Canada and no financial assistance from CALPA. He became an inactive CALPA member. At the time he had two children, ages ten and seven. Being on furlough, he retained a spot on the Air Canada seniority list. The value of this to him was that he would get a first right of recall and could pick up his career and continue with his advancement. He testified, and I accept, that he did not wish something adverse for the Connector pilots. They could apply to Air Canada but they just could not have his career.
Hey Raven…

Why is it that you AC guys always like being the screw-er (ie CDN merger), you guys might just like being the screw-e???

The Raven
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by The Raven »

crj_705 wrote:
The Raven wrote:Ray,

Hey Raven…

Why is it that you AC guys always like being the screw-er (ie CDN merger), you guys might just like being the screw-e???
crj_705,

This case has been in front of several courts and several justices over the past 14 years. Every judge and court that has heard this case has decided in favour of the Air Canada pilots. Not only that, but Hollis Harris, the then president of Air Canada sided with the Air Canada pilots. According to you, they are all wrong.

Here's a novel idea. Take some time and read Justice Pepall's decision in it's entirety. She took 156 pages to explain her reasoning. All I see from you is a few hit and run snippets on AvCanada. I think I'll believe her over you.

Have a good weekend,

The Raven

crj_705
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by crj_705 »

Raven,

I've just completed reading the whole decision, all 156 pages, what was I thinking... I was totally wrong to say that ACPA will screw anyone and their mother... :prayer: :smt075

The Raven
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by The Raven »

crj_705 wrote:Raven,

I've just completed reading the whole decision, all 156 pages, what was I thinking... I was totally wrong to say that ACPA will screw anyone and their mother... :prayer: :smt075
Now don't you feel better?

vic777
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by vic777 »

The Raven wrote: vic777, have you read the decision?
Don't have to, I was there.

The Raven
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by The Raven »

vic777 wrote:
The Raven wrote: vic777, have you read the decision?
Don't have to, I was there.
I was there too. I still read all the decisions from all the justices over the last 4 years to stay informed. I don't rely on gossip and innuendo in the crew room/pub/coffee shop for my information.

Anyway, it's now over and done with. Time to get out and enjoy the nice weather. Have a good weekend.

chatman
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by chatman »

Its too bad that the unions didnt fight a little harder for the Canadian Airline seniorty shaft....

crj_705
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by crj_705 »

The Raven wrote:
crj_705 wrote:Raven,

The Raven wrote:
Now don't you feel better?

I meant to say that ACPA would screw anyone, their mother AND their sister!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Redwine
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Redwine »

It took this many years to figure this out? A tiny hundred-odd page report? The only winners here are the greedy ass lawyers...

flyinhigh
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by flyinhigh »

I would love to say that this is FINALLY over, however with the appeal process(will probably happen). Litigation on the fees owed and such I think this will still be carried on for a few years to come.

Just my thoughts, with that I wish I thought otherwise. This needs to be buried.

flyinhigh
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by flyinhigh »

crj_705 wrote: I meant to say that ACPA would screw anyone, their mother AND their sister!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
And with that it just showed your lack of professionalism and juniority at Jazz. The court process ran its course and the verdict is in, regardless of what the AO guys are saying about how they got screwed.

charv66
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by charv66 »

Does anyone know if there is an online copy of the original filing of this lawsuit?

Last edited by charv66 on Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Dh8Classic
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Dh8Classic »

And what positions would the Jazz guys be in now if they had taken BOTL....senior A320 captain maybe.

Return to “Air Canada”