Caribbean Flying

This forum has been developed to discuss Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore, Rudder Bug

justa-pilot
Rank 0
Rank 0

Caribbean Flying

Post by justa-pilot »

Hi, I'm currently flying in beautiful northern Canada, and thinking of seeking warmer climates and a change of scenery. Anyone on here know about flying in the Caribbean? From what I understand most of the places will except FAA or JAA licence. And will probably need a work visa. If anybody has done this, I'd love to hear how it was, what company you worked for, salary etc... Any help would be great, thanks.
---------- ADS -----------

tired of the ground
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: Caribbean Flying

Post by tired of the ground »

I've never worked for a Caribbean operator but I've spent my fair share of time flying down there. Flying in the Caribbean can be one of the most frustrating things in the world. As long as you realize that everything you do will be at the whim everyone on "island time", you will be ahead of the pack. It can be extremely frustrating at times.

I believe your biggest hurdle is going to be immigration. Every island is it's own country for the most part and as such has its own rules. They also all want a local to fill the spot if it's possible. You're going to need time on type to get a work permit. Without time on type, it's tough.

You're not the first one to think that flying down there would be great. it can be competative. Personally, I like my few days on the beach then a trip home. If you're gung ho about it, then find out who operates something you've flown and target them.

trey kule
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by trey kule »

Been there, done that.
Years ago there were more islanders (the plane) in the Caribbean than mosquitoes. They loved Canadian pilots. There was a similarity between flying in northern canada and the carib.
Take off, hold a heading, time things, and if all works out you pick up a beacon and get to the island you planned on..Not much to see above the cloud or over the ocean if you are low. They also had virtually zero local pilots.

Things have changed radically. Caribbean countries have made huge efforts to train domestic pilots. The islanders were replaced by twin otters, then Dashs, and more and more 737s...And...GPS...You actually can fly over the cloud at night now with a pretty good idea of where you are and not just motor along hoping all will work out (Canadian speciality in the old days. Just like flying over the north, and the similarities are very close.

The result is jobs are harder to find down there. There is some good news as a few operators still prefer Canadian pilots. But wages have gone all to hell in a handbasket (does that sound familiar) This is particularily true where pilots are paid in US dollars.
The company I flew for paid in US dollars, and when I left the USD was worth 1.53 Canadian...The pay has not increased much for Captains, and the USD is now worth .99 CDN...For FO's and small aircraft Captains the salaries have dropped significantly. $1500 USD a month for a domestic FO in some of those islands is big money to them.

There are all sorts of counties and they all have different licensing requirements..The British ones require you to first validate your Canadian license and then convert within a year. Not sure of the French policy. The Dutch one is brutal. I am not sure about the American islands...
Generally, anyone hiring you down there will be familiar with how to get a work visa, the license requirements etc..

I still keep in touch with friends down there..They tell me they have seen virtually 100% ex pats (typically Canadian) decrease over the last 10 years to about 15%, and those are mostly holdovers, those that married islanders. or Kiwis, who it seems are trying to compete with Canadian pilots as to who will work for less..
If you are serious, I would do some research. There are a couple of companies that were, as of a few years ago, either owned or managed by Canadians.

Living there can be a nice experience..The flying, depending on the company, can be a bit dodgey. Jump seating there is routine..You can literally get to every island on your days off.
Best of luck

justa-pilot
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by justa-pilot »

Thank you for the replies. Sounds like a lot of hoops to jump through. Haven't scared me off the idea yet though. Think the easiest part might be getting used to "island time". Seems the people of the north up here run a similar kind of time.

How long ago did you work down there trey kule? Would you go back? Which company did you work for? If you don't mind me asking. The hardest part might be the pay, together with the cost of living that I hear can be quite high. One more question. Was it everything you thought it was going to be?

Having never been to the carib, and probably will not get the chance to visit before going down there, if I do. I'm trying to get the best idea of what it's going to be like. Thanks again for the help.

cj555
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by cj555 »

I was just down in Playa Del Carmen, Mexico and there was a small regional airport there with a few C172, C Caravan etc. The departure had the planes roaring over the beach at 500feet mostly carrying sightseeing and skydiver passengers. I really conteplated how cool it would be to live and fly in a place like Playa Del Carmen for a year or two.

W5
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by W5 »

justa-pilot
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by justa-pilot »

Thanks for the link!

outsider
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by outsider »

I have worked off and on in the Caribbean for many years , and still continue to do so , and I have always had a great time , been paid and treated well.

outsider
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by outsider »

Good times

Attachments
73831_10152339208690372_831139936_n.jpg
73831_10152339208690372_831139936_n.jpg (148.19 KiB) Viewed 6915 times
outsider
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by outsider »

Just make sure you dodge the volcanic ash.

Attachments
17552_381462095371_6817976_n.jpg
17552_381462095371_6817976_n.jpg (43.23 KiB) Viewed 6912 times
Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

That's a nice picture of Trey's watch.

trey kule
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by trey kule »

Not my watch Beef. And I dont recognize the brand of beer.

But I do recognize Outsiders picture. Flown in and out of that airport many many times...As
Jimmy Buffet sang..."Dont know where I'll go, when de Volcano blow....
Thks outsider. The picture brought back many memories..Some of the wicked crosswinds there, but good ones too.

Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

Oh sorry Trey, that watch is kind of smallish compared to your's, right?

You drive twin otters much?

Hey outsider, is that bread fruit hanging off that tree and have you ever eaten any?

outsider
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by outsider »

Not sure what it is , and no I haven't.

Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

Looks like breadfruit to me. I have never tried any but have seen it growing in Hana, Maui, Hawaii.

Lost Lake
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Lost Lake »

El Preidente beer. Sold in the DR. Should only drink fria or helada.

Just another canuck
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Just another canuck »

Breadfruit tastes like shit IMO. I guess it's not bad fried like chips but when there's mangoes, papayas, passion fruit and bananas all hanging in the same general area, I'll leave the breadfruit where it is.

pild04
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by pild04 »

Hello,

Does anyone have any updated information regarding flying in the Bahamas? Whats the pay like for an FO and cost of living?

Thank you!

NWONT
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by NWONT »

I've flown for a few different companies in the Caribbean. Best experiences of my life. Check out my Facebook page "Habitual Lawbreaker" for tales of adventure and daring and maybe even buy my book. Image

jsmorrow
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by jsmorrow »

Flying to the Bahamas is absolutely beautiful, and it’s so close to the United States. Easy process, just takes a little more planning.

Return to “Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service”