ATPL Application process tips

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

CPT.HarshColdReality
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: ATPL Application process tips

Post by CPT.HarshColdReality »

Greetings everyone,

About to drop my logbooks for my ATPL next month in the YUL area. ANybody have tips or recommendations for a good office?
---------- ADS -----------

Cessna 180
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Cessna 180 »

FYI, Recent turnaround time at TC Hamilton was 1.5 weeks. I did come prepared with a copy of my medical, most recent check ride in a multi-engine plane (PPC in a Level D sim), and a letter from a former CP where I operated single crew aircraft with as two crew. They'll want that especially with the delays in adding your most recent PPC and Medical in the system (I'm well over 8 months since last medical, still not in the system).

emitkcolb
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by emitkcolb »

Anyone have any recent updates on how long it takes for the prairie region to process an ATPL application? Just about to send mine in

Blackdog0301
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Blackdog0301 »

Sent mine in the first week of March into the Winnipeg office. Haven't heard a thing.

Blackdog0301
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Blackdog0301 »

Update: my application got processed earlier this week. Still waiting for the sticker though. They told me 30-40 days when I first submitted everything, it turned out to be almost exactly 40 days.

CPT.HarshColdReality
Rank 3
Rank 3

Tough times to have an ATPL my man!

kiaszceski
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by kiaszceski »

We can also send the documents and the logbook in pdf, it will be processed the same way.

Blackdog0301
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Blackdog0301 »

CPT.HarshColdReality wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 11:31 pm Tough times to have an ATPL my man!
In general, yes. In my case, no. Some of us have the benefit of having a job that isn’t affected as much as other operators by these tough times. #703FTW

bring me the horizon
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by bring me the horizon »

kiaszceski wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:57 am We can also send the documents and the logbook in pdf, it will be processed the same way.
That's what I did with Pacific region. Worked out pretty slick. From the time I sent in the application to payment processed was 22 days. Getting the sticker in the mail was another 7 days.

kiaszceski
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by kiaszceski »

bring me the horizon wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 5:56 pm
kiaszceski wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:57 am We can also send the documents and the logbook in pdf, it will be processed the same way.
That's what I did with Pacific region. Worked out pretty slick. From the time I sent in the application to payment processed was 22 days. Getting the sticker in the mail was another 7 days.
Pretty quick !

I've already paid the fees but still waiting for TC to make the changes on the website, it's been a month now.

CPT.HarshColdReality
Rank 3
Rank 3

Been over 40 business days (43 to be exact) here in YUL and still no answer from the TC croonies. Must be hard to work from home when yout binge watching Netflix series instead of doing your goddamn job. Can't be that hard to go thru an application......Meh what's an ATPL worth these days anyways. Spent over 12k renting an airplane towards my licence....An investment they said.....I am in massive debt now......

ayseven
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by ayseven »

There is no rhyme or reason to their actions, or lack thereof. I am as mystified as you are, but I am seeing no rush to get mine in now.

ogopogo
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by ogopogo »

Prompts me to ask a question: How did the ATPL process work for large airlines, for instance? For those who joined early on (say in the ‘70s) and worked their way up to widebody skippers and then retired with 35+ years service? I’ve known several,over the years but I don’t recall any of them ”writing exams”. Is this something the airline just granted?

780Pilot
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by 780Pilot »

And now there looking at having a majority of government employees working from home. I fear this is a taste of whats to come.

OldInstructor
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by OldInstructor »

The written exam process for the ATPL use to have 4 exams rather then the two we now have. There was also a senior commercial license then. The same exams for both but a higher pass mark for the ATPL.

kiaszceski
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by kiaszceski »

So I've send my application and paid the fees on april 21st. Got my ATPL on June 11th.
Everything has been done in PDF format, I've never sent any paper at all and never walked in a TC office.

780Pilot
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by 780Pilot »

Was talking with my TC flight school inspector two weeks ago. I brought up the ATPL application and he told me you should only be logging IFR time when your actually in IMC not just because you file IFR. Anyone heard of this before?

CPT.HarshColdReality
Rank 3
Rank 3

Meh don't sweat it

780Pilot
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by 780Pilot »

CPT.HarshColdReality wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:22 pm Meh don't sweat it
As in just log it all as IMC time if its IFR filed?

CPT.HarshColdReality
Rank 3
Rank 3

Yeh I did that, just got my AAs!!

Return to “Flight Training”