ATPL Application process tips

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

780Pilot
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: ATPL Application process tips

Post by 780Pilot »

CPT.HarshColdReality wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 5:06 pm Yeh I did that, just got my AAs!!
Congrats. Ya thats what my instructor told me to do. I know a TC guy is telling me this but there is zero info about it in writing. SO annoying.
---------- ADS -----------

Ben_Pilot
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Ben_Pilot »

Pacific Region (Surrey transport Canada office) received all of my documents for the ATPL submission on August 10th. I have well over 2,500+ hours and exceed all hour requirements by a substantial amount. How long should I anticipate it take for my application to be completed and sticker sent? Has anyone recently dealt with pacific region for ATPL submissions?

Thanks.

gooseinbc
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by gooseinbc »

Ben_Pilot wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:19 pm How long should I anticipate it take for my application to be completed and sticker sent? Has anyone recently dealt with pacific region for ATPL submissions?
Abbotsford Office, January. Two weeks for the call that it was signed off, three for the sticker. Just barely over a lot of requirements.

bring me the horizon
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by bring me the horizon »

gooseinbc wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:34 am Abbotsford Office, January. Two weeks for the call that it was signed off, three for the sticker.
Pretty good even for pre-covid times dawg

propfeather
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by propfeather »

Ben_Pilot wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:19 pm Pacific Region (Surrey transport Canada office) received all of my documents for the ATPL submission on August 10th. I have well over 2,500+ hours and exceed all hour requirements by a substantial amount. How long should I anticipate it take for my application to be completed and sticker sent? Has anyone recently dealt with pacific region for ATPL submissions?

Thanks.
I submitted in mid May to the Surrey office via mail. Took about 3 weeks for me before the phone call, another week for the sticker. 2000+ hrs.

CapNinsano
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by CapNinsano »

kiaszceski wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 1:15 pm So I've send my application and paid the fees on april 21st. Got my ATPL on June 11th.
Everything has been done in PDF format, I've never sent any paper at all and never walked in a TC office.
How many pages of your log book did you have to send in?

780Pilot
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by 780Pilot »

CapNinsano wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:20 pm
kiaszceski wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 1:15 pm So I've send my application and paid the fees on april 21st. Got my ATPL on June 11th.
Everything has been done in PDF format, I've never sent any paper at all and never walked in a TC office.
Last I heard you send in everything.

kiaszceski
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by kiaszceski »

780Pilot wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:45 am
CapNinsano wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:20 pm
Last I heard you send in everything.
I've sent my entire Logbook in PDF, signed.

Olegmagellan
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Olegmagellan »

Hello gentlemen,just quick question . Do i need to pass real IFR flight on the plane or enough to pass the same in SIM, like Redbird,(Simenol) within last 12 month to be able to apply for ATPL. SAMRA and SARON done and valid, hours also more then required. Thanks.

canfly18
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by canfly18 »

Hello gents, I dropped my application directly in the mailbox at the YUL office on August 5th, haven't heard a thing yet. Anybody knows the average time for an answer? Are they calling or emailing when the application is processed? Thanks

BE10Driver
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by BE10Driver »

canfly18 wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 10:21 am Hello gents, I dropped my application directly in the mailbox at the YUL office on August 5th, haven't heard a thing yet. Anybody knows the average time for an answer? Are they calling or emailing when the application is processed? Thanks
Any news canfly18? I am wondering the exact same thing myself about YUL processing times. Any input would be appreciated. Also, do they still call to say that they're sending back the logbooks? Thanks

canfly18
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by canfly18 »

No news yet.... I'll let you know when I have some.. Cheers

BE10Driver
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by BE10Driver »

awesome thanks

goldiepumpkin
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by goldiepumpkin »

Has anyone gotten their ATPL processed lately in the Prarie and Northern region?
I sent mine out over 2 months ago and still haven't received my sticker yet.

the-minister31
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by the-minister31 »

780Pilot wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:04 pm
CPT.HarshColdReality wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 5:06 pm Yeh I did that, just got my AAs!!
Congrats. Ya thats what my instructor told me to do. I know a TC guy is telling me this but there is zero info about it in writing. SO annoying.
AIM 1.5 c) is up to interpretation and different inspectors will interpret it differently.

Basically it says 2 things :
Must be flown by sole reference to instruments
Can be accumulated IFR in IMC or IFR in VMC with hood

First, that means that you have to fly in IMC to log IF when on the line. Too bad if you get great weather the day you are booked on ! Oh and what about descending in clouds through icing 10 minutes earlier than needed so I can log .2 IF more? Stupid.

Another thing is if you fly VFR at night over a sparserly populated area, you really do need your instrumwnts to fly, can you log? My local TC inspector says yes because you fly with sole reference to instruments, half the flight time... but some do not... and why half?

Another thing... if I teach instrument flight to a PPL (5 hrs, remember), must I file an IFR and fly into IMC or give him the hood while I handle the procedures? TC inspector says no, he flies with sole reference to instruments so you can log, but remove .2 for ground time, even if I am in uncontrolled with less than 5 minutes start to airborne time.

And what about IFR training? You have to file IFR for 40 hrs of instrument flight time in order to get him that rating? And if you are VMC (so the instructor has no hood) the instructor can't log IF even he teaches IF. Ridicoulous. Even more when you know that the approaches flown while teaching count towards the 666, but technically not the flight time.

So many incoherances, but talk to your local TC guy... He'll tell you what he wants I guess

780Pilot
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by 780Pilot »

Sent you a PM Minister31. And yea my TC guys I should only log hood when in IMC. Then the DPE we use says they can't prove it and to just log less .3 if you file IFR.

BE10Driver
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by BE10Driver »

do they still call to advise that they've signed off the ATPL license / sending logbooks back? or do they just send it all through the mail without any news whatsoever?

the-minister31
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by the-minister31 »

BE10Driver wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:47 pm do they still call to advise that they've signed off the ATPL license / sending logbooks back? or do they just send it all through the mail without any news whatsoever?
Crickets for me, but I didn't need anything to be mailed back.

Olegmagellan
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Olegmagellan »

Any news about YUL process? Did they except an application on personal visit or i have to call to make an appointment.?

BE10Driver
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by BE10Driver »

After checking online to verify my tc file, it shows that my license switched from CPL to ATPL. You can check this if you have a General Aviation services account on this https://tc.canada.ca/en/aviation/civil- ... v4e3T5gur4

If you press on the hyperlink with your license description it mentions the date the license was approved and if the sticker was printed w the date.

Return to “Flight Training”