ATPL Application process tips

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

MPL
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: ATPL Application process tips

Post by MPL »

Removed
---------- ADS -----------

Last edited by MPL on Thu Jul 14, 2022 7:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hotoffthepress
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Hotoffthepress »

This forum has been very helpful. Thank you to all. Could I pick your brains and help me with this one?

I hold an ICAO ATPL(A) with 3300HRS (Instrument time 2600 HR) and am looking to convert towards the Canadian ATPL.
The problem, nearly all of my time is under P1(U/S) and P2 on the Airbus, and I'm not sure if I meet the 250HR PIC

I've read that Co-Pilot time is accountable to 50%, whilst CAR 421.11 specifies "a maximum of 100 hours pilot-in-command under supervision flight time"

Cheers!

780Pilot
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by 780Pilot »

Co Pilot time is 1 for 1 now. Wherever you saw that must be old. PIC US caps at 100 hrs. Figure out what you have for PIC before the airbus ex: during your flight training or other types you were legitimate PIC on, + the 100 PIC US and see where your at. Hope that answers your question.

Hotoffthepress
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Hotoffthepress »

780Pilot wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 11:32 am Co Pilot time is 1 for 1 now. Wherever you saw that must be old. PIC US caps at 100 hrs. Figure out what you have for PIC before the airbus ex: during your flight training or other types you were legitimate PIC on, + the 100 PIC US and see where your at. Hope that answers your question.
Thank you. Yes it helps.
Cheers

canadianpilot101
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by canadianpilot101 »

ATPL proccessed:

YQT TC Office dropped off application / logbook in hand

Submitted August 24th
ATPL approved and sticker printed Sept 21
Sticker Received March 25

Dingbatt
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Dingbatt »

Olegmagellan wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 7:38 am I guess it’s because of different juridical conditions according ICAO and respectively reflected in Canadian Law.
hi Olegmagellan, any tips on what school/aircraft you did the IFR ride on?

Im in a very similar situation. Im 777 rated and have done my normal line checks and sim rides to maintain my licensee at my airline, which is based outside of Canada. I have thoroughly read the TC rules on the "SKILL" requirement, and it does state that We will grant credits to foreign pilot license holders if the foreign license comes from a country that is a member of the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO)" However, knowing TC I feel like they will just not budge, even though it never specifically states the skill requirement is met in Canada.

khedrei
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by khedrei »

There is a CAR that specifically covers your situation Dingbatt. It has been posted in this forum. If your license/PPC meets the requirment in that reg, then they should have no problem honoring it. You would have to provide proof. It it meets the reg, I don't see the issue.

SpicyGoat
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by SpicyGoat »

Anyone submitted an application to the prairies and northern region recently and know how long they’re taking to process them?

Sent my stuff in via email last month and when I called the other day to ask about it, they said it hasn’t been assigned to anyone yet and told me not to call again unless it’s been three months…

Last edited by SpicyGoat on Sat Apr 09, 2022 11:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
RockSalty
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by RockSalty »

Also interested in the timeline other people have had sending their stuff in via email, sent mine in ~two months ago with no acknowledgement or anything from TC...

flap_operator1
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by flap_operator1 »

Hey guys. I recently submitted my ATPL application at the end of March via mail to the prairie and northern region office. Nothing yet unfortunately. This could take a while...

780Pilot
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by 780Pilot »

flap_operator1 wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 9:48 am Hey guys. I recently submitted my ATPL application at the end of March via mail to the prairie and northern region office. Nothing yet unfortunately. This could take a while...
For what it’s worth I did a class 2 flight instructor application out of PNR on Sept 13th 2021. Didn’t get the sticker till March 3 and I had to absolutely hound them. They are slow, simply put.

780Pilot
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by 780Pilot »

flap_operator1 wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 9:48 am Hey guys. I recently submitted my ATPL application at the end of March via mail to the prairie and northern region office. Nothing yet unfortunately. This could take a while...
For what it’s worth I did a class 2 flight instructor application out of PNR on Sept 13th 2021. Didn’t get the sticker till March 3 and I had to absolutely hound them. They are slow, simply put.

780Pilot
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by 780Pilot »

Going to be applying for an ATPL by end of June. I’m in the GTA. I heard if you drop it off at the Hamilton office the timeline has been good. Can anyone speak to this or a different office that’s good out here? Or should I just mail and forget it?

Ambiguous
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Ambiguous »

Submitted my application early April via parcel to the office on Yonge Street. Been trying to contact them via phone/email since then for confirmation of receipt and haven’t heard back. Has anyone had any luck lately?

vanislepilot
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vanislepilot »

780Pilot wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 5:51 am Going to be applying for an ATPL by end of June. I’m in the GTA. I heard if you drop it off at the Hamilton office the timeline has been good. Can anyone speak to this or a different office that’s good out here? Or should I just mail and forget it?

I just dropped off my logbook (emailed the application and fee payment) at the Toronto office at 4900 Yonge Street. The lady was really helpful and kind about it, told me 40 business days to get it processed

TimothyLavre
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by TimothyLavre »

I am also going to be applying for an ATPL by end of June.

go now monitor pc activity
RockSalty
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by RockSalty »

I called TC for an update last week and was told their system showed that it had a due date of the 12th and that I should hear something by the end of that week. Not sure what I expected but of course that deadline came and went and I've still heard nothing lol. Really sucks since its the only thing holding me back from the left seat (and associated pay increase) now :?

Edit: Got in touch with TC in the Atlantic region and about four hours later had a temp emailed to me

flap_operator1
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by flap_operator1 »

After submitting my application at the end of March, I finally had my label printed and a temporary license issued yesterday. The timeline for me seemed to be about 2.5 months at the Prairie and Northern office.

Initially I sent an email about a month in inquiring if they received my application to which they responded yes and gave me a due date timeline for the end of May. When that due date passed I just gave them a call, they put the application into a "priority sequence" and within a week it was done :smt040

jet777
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by jet777 »

Just curious if someone could provide some advice with regard to converting my ICAO ATPL to the Canadian equivalent.

Because of my route into aviation, and the requirements of the local regulators, I'm shy of the TC requirement for 250 hours PIC by roughly 100 hours. I do meet and exceed all of the other hour requirements however. I do have a Canadian PPL+Class 1 medical so I suppose I could come to Canada for a few weeks, rent an airplane and commit to making up those hours then write the SARON/SAMRA/INRAT as one would conventionally do.

Alternatively, I meet the requirements for the FAA ATP cert so was considering going to the US and doing the ATPCTP+ATM+multi engine practical test then using the FAA license to convert to a Canadian ATPL. In this instance the TC requirements are 900 hours in an airplane + FAAAA exam+ Canadian class 1 medical + FAA instrument proficiency Check (within the past 24 months). The advantage of doing it this way is that it would take less time, cost wise I've worked out to be roughly the same.

For background I've been working as an F/O on a wide body jet for a while.

I'm curious to know if anyone has any practical knowledge of how a TC licensing officer would view the FAA route? According to the C.A.R.s I've found no reference that expressly forbids it.

I'd appreciate anyone sharing their views or experience.

780Pilot
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by 780Pilot »

Applied for the ATPL at the Toronto office (Yonge Street) in person today. Books and all in hand. She told me “you won’t be seeing these for a while” end of summer best case scenario.

Return to “Flight Training”