ATPL Application process tips

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

canfly18
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: ATPL Application process tips

Post by canfly18 »

So.... I called transport (Montreal) this morning, Sent my application at the beginning of August, she told me they received it September 23rd (I dropped it directly at the Montreal office). I did send the letter from my first company for flying SIC on a single pilot airplane and they told me they received confirmation from them October 13th????? So I told her that is was already in the package signed by the chief pilot and she said that she will send an email to the person in charge of my file because it's not very clear. I asked her if I needed to send my new medical since I renewed last month and she said that as long as I have the stamp in my documents, it's ok and I don't need to send anything.
---------- ADS -----------

Olegmagellan
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Olegmagellan »

canfly18 wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 5:48 am So.... I called transport (Montreal) this morning, Sent my application at the beginning of August, she told me they received it September 23rd (I dropped it directly at the Montreal office). I did send the letter from my first company for flying SIC on a single pilot airplane and they told me they received confirmation from them October 13th????? So I told her that is was already in the package signed by the chief pilot and she said that she will send an email to the person in charge of my file because it's not very clear. I asked her if I needed to send my new medical since I renewed last month and she said that as long as I have the stamp in my documents, it's ok and I don't need to send anything.
What’s your situation now? Did you get any notice from TC?

throwaway23
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by throwaway23 »

Submitted my ATPL to Hamilton office by mail, they received October 1st. Received the temporary today, November 20th.

They did say they have been backed up.

Olegmagellan
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Olegmagellan »

They have 40 day to finish everything.Info from Montreal TC. office.

canfly18
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by canfly18 »

Nope! nothing yet... The only answer I had from TC is don't worry, your application is active in the system. I've been calling every week. It's starting to be very frustrating because I am still active and might miss a good oportunity. I understand Covid is not their problems but seriously?? What is going on at the Montreal office? What happen if they go pass the 40 days because in my case it has been more than 90?

Olegmagellan
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Olegmagellan »

canfly18 wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:32 am Nope! nothing yet... The only answer I had from TC is don't worry, your application is active in the system. I've been calling every week. It's starting to be very frustrating because I am still active and might miss a good oportunity. I understand Covid is not their problems but seriously?? What is going on at the Montreal office? What happen if they go pass the 40 days because in my case it has been more than 90?
It’s hard to say for this moment,my situation is past 40 days recently ,got 3 mails from License Officer with request to confirm
Instrument time, even have 3600+ Airbus time ,more than 4000 total. Something strange is going on there.

Olegmagellan
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Olegmagellan »

Check on+line status of my TC file, CPL switched to ATPL .Sticker not printed assigned data is today. Big progress.

canfly18
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by canfly18 »

Yes, I check everyday but still say: commercial pilot, I have over 2700 hours but was limit on the PIC night cross country hours but all the rest is well above the minimum. I don't really understand what could be wrong. I heard from another guy that used to fly with me on a Q400 for a private company, he had to do an IFR checkride because we didn't have PPCs. Last checkride I did was 6 months ago and since we operate on the 604 charts, we don't do PPC but I asked them to renew my IFR and sent my checkride to TC. I sent emails every weeks to Transport Canada and still, no answer from them. I've given up calling them because every time I get the same answer which is: send us an email!

congrats for your ATPL! Cheers!

Olegmagellan
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Olegmagellan »

Thanks for congrats.
Check your IFR status online,you can see is there your last IFR check or not. In my case i can see my last IFR done in 17 october 2020. That may your answer.
Resuming Logs and all paper dropped at TC Dorval in November 19,got 3 letters to confirm my IFR hours flown in Airbus,
December 2 ATPL signed off, December 3 sticker printed.Delivery logs unknown, can guess soon.42 days.

canfly18
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by canfly18 »

Anyone operating under 604 regulation here? I did a PCC 10 months ago, Transport Canada refuse to give me my ATPL because I did not have a PPC in the last 12 months and say that a PCC is not valid for the application. The requirements for a PPC and PCC are basicly the same since Transport took over from CBAA. I either have to pass a PPC (Not in the COM of my compagny so they dont want to) or rent a plane from a school to renew my IFR

just wondering if anyone has ever seen this kind of situation and how it was handle. It doesn't make any sense to me, comparing the 2 flight test guides, they have the same criterias.

780Pilot
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by 780Pilot »

canfly18 wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 7:34 am Anyone operating under 604 regulation here? I did a PCC 10 months ago, Transport Canada refuse to give me my ATPL because I did not have a PPC in the last 12 months and say that a PCC is not valid for the application. The requirements for a PPC and PCC are basicly the same since Transport took over from CBAA. I either have to pass a PPC (Not in the COM of my compagny so they dont want to) or rent a plane from a school to renew my IFR

just wondering if anyone has ever seen this kind of situation and how it was handle. It doesn't make any sense to me, comparing the 2 flight test guides, they have the same criterias.
You had a physical PPC report form correct? And the denied that?

Olegmagellan
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Olegmagellan »

canfly18 wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 7:34 am Anyone operating under 604 regulation here? I did a PCC 10 months ago, Transport Canada refuse to give me my ATPL because I did not have a PPC in the last 12 months and say that a PCC is not valid for the application. The requirements for a PPC and PCC are basicly the same since Transport took over from CBAA. I either have to pass a PPC (Not in the COM of my compagny so they dont want to) or rent a plane from a school to renew my IFR

Rent actual plane at flying school and do your IFR check ride. i did same because my PPC and IFR in the SIM doesn’t work for ATPL application in Canada, except Canadian company.

canfly18
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by canfly18 »

You had a physical PPC report form correct? And the denied that?
[/quote]
I have a PCC on Bombardier Challenger since Feb 2020, basicly, if you take the test guide, it's the exact same test as a PPC . Criterias are basicly the same but Transport Canada doesn't care about the PCC, they only want a PPC or an IFR renewall on a multi-engine! So if you are operating under 604 rules, you are screwed unless your company gives you a PPC

Olegmagellan
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Olegmagellan »

Exactly but it was done in Europe, that’s why its doesn’t work in my situation.
Just one way rent and pass IFR. PCC isn’t acceptable, as you mentioned above.

Last edited by Olegmagellan on Fri Dec 18, 2020 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
canfly18
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by canfly18 »

Yes, I was on the phone with them this am and basicly you can renew your IFR on Level C or D sim, dont need to rent an airplane.They give me until the end of January to renew so will do since it’s short time period but I just dont understand why a PCC is not recognized since we do the same exercises as a PPC. We are evaluted on the same criterias (take the two guides and it’s basicly a copy/paste) and you can also fail the checkride just like a PPC

Olegmagellan
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Olegmagellan »

I guess it’s because of different juridical conditions according ICAO and respectively reflected in Canadian Law.

canfly18
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by canfly18 »

So I got my ATPL today, did my IFR renewal last Thursday.

Olegmagellan
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Olegmagellan »

That is i was saying! Congratulations,welcome to ATPL. Club.

flyhigh008
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by flyhigh008 »

hello,

just wondering if TC is taking excel spreadsheet versions of the logbook these days instead of the actual physical logbook? Also has anyone had any issue with their XC time and them being picky about what is considered XC? thanks

Olegmagellan
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Olegmagellan »

I had some problem with my XC time,I didn’t mark (in log)Airbus time as XC time and been forced to sent them company letter of explanation how to count theses hours. Finally it was accepted and preceded with my application.

Return to “Flight Training”