Airline AME PayScale

This forum has been developed to discuss maintenance topics in Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

ramp_rat
Rank 3
Rank 3

Airline AME PayScale

Post by ramp_rat »

Hello To All The Hardworking or Hardlyworking AMEs out there!

The reason why I'm writing this post is to shed the light on the AME Payscale on the Canadian Airline Operators. Every company is different, there are company's with a standard payscale or a "hush hush" payscale.

I was just chatting with one of they guy's that I know who work for Air Canada and he told me he makes $33 and change after working there for more than 30 years. They took a pay cut many years ago and the story goes on. I'd say this is "crap" for a big Canadian Airline who keeps loosing money and getting tax payer's money to keep them afloat but let's not even get to the politics behind it. (I don't work for AC).

On the other hand, the money maker WJ has upgraded their payscale and i have seen it. It looks really good except from what I was told, the new hires with 737 don't get the new pay as of yet.

Transat $37 to start?, Jazz 33 Max?, Porter ACA start at 26?, KFC?, Cargojet?, Canjet? Skyservice? Sunwing? WJ Encore?

Posting the actual payscale would be awesome but any feedback is also great!

Thanks!
---------- ADS -----------

Cat19
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Airline AME PayScale

Post by Cat19 »

One thing about Air Canada...those guys don't exactly have to bust their butts to make that money. I know, I worked there for years until Aveos ripped away my career. Another thing is Air Canada is union where WestJet is not. At WestJet, you have no union protection and your seniority means nothing. Seniority is very important when layoffs are looming...which is a common occurance in the airline industry. Also, your friend that works at Air Canada has a defined benefit pension plan...which means that when he retires he will have an income until the day he dies...what sort of pension plan does WestJet have?

IMHO, having union protection along with a good pension and benefits package is way more important than how much you make per hour.

aroundthewing
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by aroundthewing »

ramp_rat wrote: Canadian Airline who keeps loosing money and getting tax payer's money to keep them afloat
Seriously??
:lol:

azimuthaviation
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by azimuthaviation »

Cat19 wrote:IMHO, having union protection along with a good pension and benefits package is way more important than how much you make per hour
Do the math. How much would more per hour would you have to make to buy health and life insurance from Sun Life (just what you actually want) as well as put 3 or 4% of your wage away to invest in a retirement savings plan (again any way you want)? Less than 2 dollars an hour? Get a job with zero benefits and no retirement savings plan that pays three dollars an hour more than your current job and you come out ahead. Way ahead. Contractors do alright, and most turn down offers to work full time. Theyre basically saying screw your company benefits plan, I'll take the money.

Union protection is good. Of course unless youre the harder working more competent guy who happens to have been at that company less time than the disgruntled useless guy who knows he can never get fired cause he walked inthe door first.

ramp_rat
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ramp_rat »

Great post to start! But how much does ACA's actually makes from AC? WJ? etc?

flatface
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Airline AME PayScale West Jet from Sept 2008

Post by flatface »

deleted

Last edited by flatface on Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
flatface
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Airline AME PayScale from AC June 2009

Post by flatface »

deleted

Last edited by flatface on Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ramp_rat
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ramp_rat »

Thanks for the post flat face! :prayer:

bombardierfixer
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by bombardierfixer »

The WJ scale is a couple years old at least.

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

Cat19 wrote:One thing about Air Canada...those guys don't exactly have to bust their butts to make that money. I know, I worked there for years until Aveos ripped away my career.
Sorry to be a jerk, but perhaps the reason your careers got ripped away was because no one busted their butts at work.

Far more important than a union, pension, seniority, etc. is a stable, profitable company which seems the value in the work done but it's employees and therefore has no reason to outsource.

azimuthaviation
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Bede wrote:
Cat19 wrote:One thing about Air Canada...those guys don't exactly have to bust their butts to make that money. I know, I worked there for years until Aveos ripped away my career.
Sorry to be a jerk, but perhaps the reason your careers got ripped away was because no one busted their butts at work.

Far more important than a union, pension, seniority, etc. is a stable, profitable company which seems the value in the work done but it's employees and therefore has no reason to outsource.

+1

iflyforpie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by iflyforpie »

Bede wrote:

+2

Froggy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Froggy »

Cat19 wrote:At WestJet, you have no union protection and your seniority means nothing. Seniority is very important when layoffs are looming...which is a common occurance in the airline industry. quote]

I can't think of a single person being layed off at Westjet Tech Ops in the history of the company's existence! Maybe somebody could correct me on that one?
Cat19 wrote:Also, your friend that works at Air Canada has a defined benefit pension plan...which means that when he retires he will have an income until the day he dies...what sort of pension plan does WestJet have?
One that matches %20 of my salary! Which will allow my to retire at an earlier age (i hope) and one that is managed by ME! I don't rely on my company to manage my future retirement. I ultimately have full control over my "pension". I can chose where and how to invest and it's my fault alone if for some reason it goes wrong. Ultimately... I have control over it! I wouldn't trade this plan for anything!

conehead
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by conehead »

Let's try and keep it accurate. Westjet has NO pension plan. They do offer a Employee Share Purchase Plan, matched by the company on very good terms. The employee can do whatever he wants with this, but it is NOT a pension plan.

jsmetalbashers
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by jsmetalbashers »

Bede wrote:

+3

NeverBlue
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by NeverBlue »

IMHO, having union protection along with a good pension and benefits package is way more important than how much you make per hour.
And where has that left you?

Seniority and union protection??... a lot of good it did AVEOS employees.

+4

Most companies worth working for now have benefits and usually some kind of RSP matching plan.

A pension is technically a better way to go because it should theoretically never run out as long as you live...self directed plans on the other hand may run out if you live long enough.

trumpfan
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by trumpfan »

WJ AME, M2/S/E: 7 steps 25.18$ start- 37.11$ step 7.

737 NG endorsement: 7% of base pay starting 1% there after every 3yrs to 10% of base.

ESP 20% of base pay company matching.

Upto date as of 2day.

Encore payscale somewhat different...........

ramp_rat
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ramp_rat »

@Trumpfan--Thank you for your post--That WJ salary looks really good!

@Neverblue--Thanks for the post. I also like pension, but only if it is a government job, or a teacher's pension, or a bank pension, they have less likely to go bankrupt.

all_ramped_up
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by all_ramped_up »

trumpfan wrote:WJ AME, M2/S/E: 7 steps 25.18$ start- 37.11$ step 7.

737 NG endorsement: 7% of base pay starting 1% there after every 3yrs to 10% of base.

ESP 20% of base pay company matching.

Upto date as of 2day.

Encore payscale somewhat different...........
I could deal with that.

azimuthaviation
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

How many guys are in the seventh step and how does one get there and how long?

Return to “Maintenance”