Airline AME PayScale

This forum has been developed to discuss maintenance topics in Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

jetsetfly
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Airline AME PayScale

Post by jetsetfly »

azimuthaviation wrote:How many guys are in the seventh step and how does one get there and how long?
I am actually on the 6th step takes one full year to attain each step plus you can add the COLA increment too which is done every march which brings up the hourly wage a bit more higher
---------- ADS -----------

747-875
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by 747-875 »

Up here at a typical northern 705 operator with ~10 aircraft, mix of jet and turboprop. Apprentices are I believe $16-22/hour depending on experience, schooling, seniority, etc. Licensed with no endorsement would be making mid 20s, and an M2 with ACA is $30.50-35.00/hour. In addition we get 1.5x for stats and overtime, $1.25/hour premium if working night shift, some optional overtime opportunities, decent flight benefits, dental/health/etc benefits, and a profit share at the end of every year I've been around for.

Long story short typical apprentice would be making probably $50,000 ish per year (depending on where in the payscale and how much overtime) and an ACA'd M2 guy would be making somewhere around $75,000/year (again, depending on where in the scale and how much overtime), both with all the usual benefits but no pension.

NeverBlue
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by NeverBlue »

If you're making $50,000/yr you are in the top 25% of Canadian salaries.

If you are making $75,000/yr you are in the top 14% of Canadian salaries.

...not bad for a two year diploma...

qa guy
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by qa guy »

NeverBlue wrote:If you're making $50,000/yr you are in the top 25% of Canadian salaries.

If you are making $75,000/yr you are in the top 14% of Canadian salaries.

...not bad for a two year diploma...
just curious.......where did you get these stats?

Stumper
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Stumper »

He got them from here:

http://www2.macleans.ca/2011/10/25/rank ... of-canada/

Neverblue unfortunately doesn't realize that the article and calculator are comparing incomes to the income of all reported tax filers. As a comparison of salaries the calculator is useless other then to indicate that the AME's wage would come in at a far lower percentage then indicated by Neverblue due to the huge number of welfare, retirees, and other non-employed who file income tax for one reason or another. Put an annual income of $1 in the calculator for example and you would still find yourself in the 18 percentile.

My apologies for this post to Neverblue and any others that thought we were among the elite Canadian salary earners

bombardierfixer
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by bombardierfixer »

About half of the AMEs at WJ are at the top of the band, and roughly 50% of them are topped out ACA. Not that you can count on it by any stretch but profit share paid out 35,000,000 million ish this time around which grossed most guys around 5000.00 ish.

NeverBlue
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by NeverBlue »

[quoteMy apologies for this post to Neverblue and any others that thought we were among the elite Canadian salary earners][/quote]

I never said any such thing.

All I did was post the results as I put them in the calculator.

I don't care who it includes Stumper.

My point all along is that the wages Encore is paying are not poverty wages!...they are not fantastic...but they are not bad.

A lot of people on this forum seem to think we need to be paid what Lawyers and Doctors are paid...

Here's another link to some average wage info http://www.livingin-canada.com/work-sal ... anada.html

You can believe whatever you want "Doubting Thomas"...I mean Stumper...I don't write these things.

fixnfly
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by fixnfly »

NeverBlue wrote:

My point all along is that the wages Encore is paying are not poverty wages!...they are not fantastic...but they are not bad.

A lot of people on this forum seem to think we need to be paid what Lawyers and Doctors are paid...

Here's another link to some average wage info http://www.livingin-canada.com/work-sal ... anada.html

You can believe whatever you want "Doubting Thomas"...I mean Stumper...I don't write these things.
+1

Stumper
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Stumper »

You seriously still can't figure out that your source is talking about something completely unrelated to salaries Neverblue? Reading comprehension not your thing? Please tell me you are not a licensed AME releasing aircraft..

Stumper
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Stumper »

Pay and Go to college, work up north in the middle of nowhere for several years building experience and putting in your license hours and maybe, just maybe one day you will get the shot to work midnight's at Westjet for just above poverty wages...

Dare to dream kids :lol:

chowda
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by chowda »

fixnfly wrote:
NeverBlue wrote:

+1

so its not that bad. why cant they fill the positions?

it s because it is a shit wage. period. take the macleans stats and stick them up your ass.
as for doctors wages sure, that would be fantastic but why is even a 100g a year in this business considered big money. oh i know why, its double the shitty average.

azimuthaviation
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by azimuthaviation »

Stumper wrote:Pay and Go to college, work up north in the middle of nowhere for several years building experience and putting in your license hours and maybe, just maybe one day you will get the shot to work midnight's at Westjet for just above poverty wages...

Dare to dream kids :lol:
Why should Westjet subsidize yours or mine bad life decisions? If you think guys like us wasted our lives who do you think should have to pay?
chowda wrote:so its not that bad. why cant they fill the positions?

it s because it is a shit wage.
Agreed. They are offering a low wage, even by industry standards, and no one is taking it. Supply and demand theory holds.

NeverBlue
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by NeverBlue »

Pay and Go to college, work up north in the middle of nowhere for several years building experience and putting in your license hours and maybe, just maybe one day you will get the shot to work midnight's at Westjet for just above poverty wages...
...you're so full of S#*T

Stumper
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Stumper »

Love you too neverblue

voodoomech
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by voodoomech »

Aerotech and Swanberg air maintenance before the operations all went tits up. ACA bonus on top of the AME scale and apprentice school accreditation counted towards the payscale too. Gives you an idea of where the average pay in alberta is right now.

Attachments
Aerotech payscale.jpg
Aerotech payscale.jpg (166.1 KiB) Viewed 3737 times
Pat Richard
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Pat Richard »

Nice. encore upper aca ame rate is that of senior apprentice 2 years ago.

I often wonder what sort of losers they have managed to get for that kind of money, but quite sure they're getting what they're paying for.

trumpfan
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by trumpfan »

The Encore payscale is a bone of contention with mainline WJ AMEs as well. Mgmt is hoping to have Encore as a stepping stone to mainline AME jobs, a practice that IMHO is questionable. The talk is that unless there is special circumstances that all mainline hiring will come from Encore.

There are some monetary carrots for start up AMEs at Encore that are not available to mainline guys. There is no training bond for the 737 or Q4 as was mentioned here previously for obtaining your ACA.

As far as I know all of YYC's Encore positions have been filled, I know some of them personally and I believe they're a strong group.

Pat Richard
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Pat Richard »

I know some of them personally and I believe they're a strong group.

if that's the case, it makes this scenario a whole lot worse in the fact they are paying what they are, and getting a decent quality AME.

Way to whore yourselves out and bring wage expectations even lower, encore dumbasses.

trumpfan
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by trumpfan »

I don't agree with the wage but its a choice they made.

NeverBlue
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by NeverBlue »

Way to whore yourselves out and bring wage expectations even lower, encore dumbasses.
what a guy eh?
I don't agree with the wage but its a choice they made.
...and their choice to make regardless of what anyone thinks.

Return to “Maintenance”