Malaysia Airlines 777 - Missing

Topics related to accidents, incidents & over due aircraft should be placed in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

Learning2Fly
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Malaysia Airlines 777 - Missing

Post by Learning2Fly »

These pictures are just a small part of the big picture, so I don't put much stock into them. However, to answer your question I'll need to ask you one first:

Which person do you believe is zoomed, or cropped? The normal guy, or the guy with the pasted legs?
---------- ADS -----------

Buncha' blind, brainwashed, crybabies... :lol:
GyvAir
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by GyvAir »

Just at a glance, using the baseboard as a coarse reference, I'd say neither are zoomed, or are both zoomed to the same level.
And as I said in my previous post, I would say they are both heavily cropped.
Shot in the dark theory why the one guy's legs are cropped off: small child was in the image in front of him and they simply cropped them out of the picture for privacy reasons.
Why is the one photo on top of the other when scanned or photocopied? Haste? Carelessness? Desire to spark yet another conspiracy theory? Exercising artistic license?

Learning2Fly
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Learning2Fly »

Good thing I don't watch cable, or mass media news in general! I can't believe how pathetic
these morons have become.

And we wonder who is starting all the rumours?

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7I4e4ui6oJQ[/youtube]

Buncha' blind, brainwashed, crybabies... :lol:
Mr. North
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Mr. North »

Aerial search has been suspended.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-27184295

Mig29
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Mig29 »

if they suspended the search maybe 50-60 years ago, I'd would understand it... considering the lack of technology at the time. But in today's day and age when they know what you had for breakfast a year ago, it's just plain comical .... Oh well, media has to move on and cover something more interesting I guess...

Indanao
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Indanao »

If they found no wreckage by this time - why not ? It is an underwater search now - that's all. Why keep polluting the atmosphere and wasting energy on an Air Search.

YYZSaabGuy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by YYZSaabGuy »

More bad news - authorities have determined that the aircraft is not located in the area where the acoustic pings had indicated, according to Australia's Joint Agency Coordination Centre. “The search in the vicinity of the acoustic detections can now be considered complete,” the agency said today. “No signs of aircraft debris have been found.”

"The failure to find wreckage in the area suggests the original pings probably didn’t come from the plane’s onboard data or voice recorders, Michael Dean, the U.S. Navy’s deputy director of ocean engineering, said in an interview with CNN yesterday, “I’d have to say at this point based on all of the imagery data that we’ve collected and looked at, if that black box were nearby we would have picked it up,” he told CNN. “We may very well have been in the wrong place.”"

Search effort to be suspended for 3 months while ship-based sonar is used to develop a more accurate profile of the sea bed. Complete story at http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-05-2 ... s-say.html

Chuck Finley
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Chuck Finley »

Do people still really believe that this 777 crashed in water?

benoit.baril
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by benoit.baril »

Do people still really believe that this 777 crashed in water?
I don't.
One day they'll find it on Kijiji.

You heard it here first.

GET TO DA CHOPPA!
AirFrame
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by AirFrame »

. Finley wrote:Do people still really believe that this 777 crashed in water?
Only the people not wearing tinfoil hats. Mine is in for service, so for now I think it crashed in the water too.

Rudy
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Rudy »

Pilot Zaharie Shah named as ‘chief suspect’ by Malaysian investigators after plans for Indian Ocean flight found on simulator. Investigators have previously refused to “clear” the captain’s flight simulator of suspicious activity, and it now appears they found evidence of routes programmed to take a plane far out into the Indian Ocean.

cncpc
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by cncpc »

. Finley wrote:Do people still really believe that this 777 crashed in water?
There is actually no evidence that it crashed at all.

I'm wondering why, if it crashed anywhere, there wasn't at least a few seconds of ELT going up to the satellites.

It's never much of a contribution to discussions like this to bring up tin hats.

Good judgment comes from experience. Experience often comes from bad judgment.
pdw
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by pdw »

cncpc wrote:I'm wondering why, if it crashed anywhere, there wasn't at least a few seconds of ELT going up to the satellites.

Something prevented the ELT from being heard. An intentional disabling of some sort, a malfunction, or simply a light enough landing that won't normally activate, are the possible considerations IMO with a pilot as "suspect".

On that note, the idea that there could have actually been a plan to make the aircraft vanish without a trace makes me contemplate the chances that a person on board who could carry out such ill intent may not necessarily have known the engines were still able to keep track of the approximate whereabouts in the way that has been shown.

I'm wondering (still interested) what the ocean conditions were in the area where this aircraft is suspected to have gone overnight into early daylight on that day, in the general area where the great search went on for so long. I envision a perfectly intact aircraft simply goes glug glug glug (some serious bubbles) yet without any surface debris possible. It's hard though, to imagine a fluke (pilot-less) landing success without breakup.

If there's a weather history available for that area, right now can provide the surface component that would have influenced slowest landing direction for a controlled landing approach ...to get an idea how smooth a touchdown was even possible.

airway
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by airway »

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldne ... lator.html

"Sources close to the investigation confirmed to The Telegraph on Sunday that a deleted flight path had been recovered from Capt Zaharie's simulator which had been used to practice landing an aircraft on a small runway on an unnamed island in the far southern Indian Ocean."

Any guesses?

http://en.allmetsat.com/airports/island ... -ocean.php

cncpc
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by cncpc »

pdw wrote:
Something prevented the ELT from being heard. An intentional disabling of some sort, a malfunction, or simply a light enough landing that won't normally activate, are the possible considerations IMO with a pilot as "suspect".
One little known feature of an ELT is that they will not be "heard" after a normal landing, or even a quite hard landing. It's remarkable that those with the "crashed" theory have to find other explanations as to why no ELT, other than the obvious one...it didn't crash.

What possible reason would someone have to take an airplane and crash it into the ocean and worry about whether the ELT would go off. In fact, what would have been so compelling that it was necessary to fly all night to some spot in the southern Indian Ocean, when he could have crashed within a hundred miles of where the gear all went silent.

As for the unnamed island? Cocos would take a 777. But it is Aussie controlled, isn't it?

If I were to make a moderately educated guess, I would say Gan. Reported sighting 200 miles north. Muslim fundamentalists all along the atoll to the west, co-operation at the airfield within the realm of reason. If that happened, the airplane is gone somewhere else. After that? Passengers?

lownslow
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by lownslow »

Alright, so supposing you and your organization stole one of the world's largest airliners full of people for some nefarious reason, how long would you have to hide it before using it for whatever you had in mind?

pdw
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by pdw »

cncpc wrote:Passengers?
You're asking there what would have happened to them ?

I'm afraid to speculate on that. Although, seeing the school of thought is still the water ditching ( manned or unmanned ) it's hard to think of anything other than "Davy Jones' Locker" in that regard.

benoit.baril
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by benoit.baril »

Alright, so supposing you and your organization stole one of the world's largest airliners full of people for some nefarious reason, how long would you have to hide it before using it for whatever you had in mind?
Park it for an 8 hours prone rest then fuego!

Last edited by benoit.baril on Mon Jun 23, 2014 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GET TO DA CHOPPA!
X-Savior
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by X-Savior »

So what we are saying then is the terrorists now have their hands on a 777 that they are working to learn all the vulnerabilities and a way to plan the next big terrorist event (hidden at some airport sneaking in at night)....

Yup just making sure my tinfoil hat is still secured in place.

Now need to watch for a job posting for a temp foreign contract for a 777 crew (Canadian Pilots with Northern experience preferred)

cncpc
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by cncpc »

lownslow wrote:Alright, so supposing you and your organization stole one of the world's largest airliners full of people for some nefarious reason, how long would you have to hide it before using it for whatever you had in mind?
My organization? You mean the senior men's curling team? That wouldn't be our specialty.

Return to “Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft”