Malaysia Airlines 777 - Missing

Topics related to accidents, incidents & over due aircraft should be placed in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

boeingboy
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Malaysia Airlines 777 - Missing

Post by boeingboy »

One little known feature of an ELT is that they will not be "heard" after a normal landing, or even a quite hard landing. It's remarkable that those with the "crashed" theory have to find other explanations as to why no ELT, other than the obvious one...it didn't crash.
Oh god! Really???

There are lots of answers to that question......the unit broke on impact, the ant broke on impact, or....how about this one...........................THEY DONT WORK UNDER WATER!!

Only 50 - 60% of crashes result in ELT activation or detection due to various reasons - not the least of which I named above. To say this didn't crash based on the fact there is no ELT signal is stupid.
---------- ADS -----------

pdw
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by pdw »

Smooth touchdown is not "crash" .

"Impact" is a crash 'that breaks off an antennae' and leaves debris, but not a single item has yet been found.

It's possible while everyone is looking near the last transmission for the first seven/eight hours, during which time MH370 runs out of fuel over the southern ocean, the few beeps before it sinks are overlooked (since being nearly a 'maximum range' away from that initial disappearance point).

Whose responsibility is it that the ELT is live (ie there's power to it) in the first place ?

Illya Kuryakin
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Illya Kuryakin »

Still sticking to my space aliens theory. Not yet proven to be wrong.
Illya

Wish I didn't know now, what I didn't know then.
pdw
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by pdw »

It took a while for some suspected pieces of Earhardt's plane to wash up somewhere, from an area a lot shallower than where it's thought MH370 is approximately located.

It may well remain an alien theory when contemplating about the depths of ocean that are possible and some of the wrecks down there we know nothing about, and their associated myths. It sounds like where this aircraft is expected to have sunk is about as deep as it gets.

Driving Rain
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Driving Rain »

cncpc
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by cncpc »

Now everybody suffocated and the airplane was on autopilot and a 777 is very difficult to fly manually.

http://www.vancouversun.com/news/world/ ... story.html

Good judgment comes from experience. Experience often comes from bad judgment.
righthandman
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by righthandman »

I am convinced someone (some organization, authority, group) knows the whereabouts of this aircraft.

I find it inconceivable it just "dropped off the edge of the world" without it being tracked by some technology out there.

Now having said that I wouldn't dare guess the "who", "what", "where", "why" and "how" of it all, as to how it all "went down". And I mean that both figuratively and literally. The "when" is obvious but that's about it. Was it all one big weird accidental sequence of events? Or was it deliberate and if so...was it via internal or external influences; in other words did the flight crew co-operate or were they hijacked by, well... whatever? It really is a big mystery. Everything becomes speculation beyond the "when".

A plane just can't keep flying incommunicado without some close tracking and/or intercept after a certain amount of time goes by. I mean there HAS to be some military procedures in place if the civilian system fails. OR if it was deliberate there would be ways and means in place to follow the progress. And the various "explanations" and string of proposed locations are just way too "fishy" with all the contradictory aspects and false leads and weird missteps in the search etc. (Sorry for all the quotes but I mean it is, S U C H a mystery... it warrants it.)

Anyway...Someone knows... THAT'S my only point here.

cncpc
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by cncpc »

You are right. Someone knows.

Good judgment comes from experience. Experience often comes from bad judgment.
Sidebar
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Sidebar »

righthandman wrote:... I wouldn't dare guess the "who", "what", "where", "why" and "how" of it all, as to how it all "went down".
Watch your back dude. NSA has your number.

GyvAir
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by GyvAir »

Sidebar wrote:
righthandman wrote:... I wouldn't dare guess the "who", "what", "where", "why" and "how" of it all, as to how it all "went down".
And PDW is going to be on you for horning in on his rampant use of quotation marks.

pdw
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by pdw »

Only where extra highlighting is required GYVair :wink:

The 'when and where' was possible here only because of the engine technology that enabled the pings to the satellites. The modern tracking systems are disabled somehow, and now the suggestion the autopilot guided it to de-fuel into a radarless noman's land. The 'who and what' is on hold ...

righthandman
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by righthandman »

Sidebar wrote:
I'm sure you're right. And now that you used the "N" word you might now even end up on the no-fly list. :(

Last edited by righthandman on Fri Jul 11, 2014 4:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
righthandman
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by righthandman »

pdw wrote:Only where extra highlighting is required GYVair :wink:

The 'when and where' was possible here only because of the engine technology that enabled the pings to the satellites. The modern tracking systems are disabled somehow, and now the suggestion the autopilot guided it to de-fuel into a radarless noman's land. The 'who and what' is on hold ...
Well... yes but... the track of the plane after the radio silence is pretty convoluted if you ask me, at least how the history of the official postion was portrayed. I am personally not convinced we are being told the so called truth or reality. For example:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-26503141

(Look at the Source of the information at the bottom of the image.. it seems pretty "official"... and yet how do you reconcile all these course changes?)

This BBC report has the military showing the plane changing direction twice, and then it pops up in a different part of the world yet again apparently, meaning a third change of direction. If it's not the people manually doing this then you are saying the automation decided to change direction 3 different times? How? On what basis? This was programmed in or was it malfunctioning or how the heck do you explain it? So for me out of the W5, the only evident part is the "When"; the rest is damn mysterious if you ask me.

StratusSmoke
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by StratusSmoke »

The aircraft is located between Jakarta and Christmas Island where the sea floor drops off sharply. The person responsible is living the good life on an island in Indonesia. It's all in the book I'm writing.

ikarus
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ikarus »

Read this on few sites recently, wonder if new claim has any credibility....although I remember reading through on previous pages on this topic that there were few reports from locals in the Maldives claiming they saw something flying low near the shore....

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world ... 39710.html

Diadem
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Diadem »

ikarus wrote:Read this on few sites recently, wonder if new claim has any credibility....although I remember reading through on previous pages on this topic that there were few reports from locals in the Maldives claiming they saw something flying low near the shore....

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world ... 39710.html
This reminds me of the South Park episode where the Surgeon General tells everyone that it's healthier to eat by inserting food into one's rectum, "And I'm basing this, of course, on absolutely nothing." Being a former airline executive doesn't grant this man any particular knowledge about an incident that occurred at a different company in a different part of the world; being a pilot doesn't grant me any special insight either. He has no evidence whatsoever to back up his claim, particularly that it was remotely hijacked, and it's absurd to think that it was both remotely hijacked and had an unrelated fire that caused the shut down of all tracking equipment at the same time. That's an incredible coincidence. As for the Maldivians seeing the plane, I've found one unnamed source who gave a quote to local media ten days after the disappearance which was then picked up by other networks; no one seems to have done any work to confirm his story, and all of the quotes about "villagers" having seen the plane come from him claiming that others saw it. That's an anonymous, unverified fourth-hand account. The Americans have never been shy about advertising that they stopped terrorists, even at the expense of civilian lives, and if they had shot down the plane to keep it from being used against Diego Garcia they probably would have given a medal to whoever did it.

Meatservo
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Meatservo »

I don't fly this kind of plane. I am tempted to believe that the idea of a "remote hijacking" by a "hacker" is complete and utter nonsense. I can't imagine it being even remotely possible.

Being an "airline executive" doesn't mean you know the first thing about how aeroplanes work.

If I'd known I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself
cgzro
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by cgzro »

I think that we have to remember that Inmarsat and the pings have never before been used to track an aircraft. This isn't an acknowledged or even proven tracking method. It's barely acknowledged now. It may well be total horseshit.
Round trip of an RF signal divided by two is a very common method of determining distance. Its used by a zillion different applications including Radar. Since the satellite knows when it sent the ping to within a few microseconds and they know how long the device takes to respond and the satellite knows when it received the response its basic math to compute the surface of a sphere on which the plane must be. They can even tell the error and compute two spheres. Intersect that sphere's surface with the surface of the earth s
(Solve the two equations) and presto you have an arc or arcs if you factor in the timing error. (Likely well below a microsecond). Thats all very basic hyperbolic trig and identical to what your GPS (except the distance calc is one way in GPS) does so no exotic magic there.

Then to determine if the plane was flying toward or away from the satellite the slight change in frequency can tell you. Good old Doppler effect, same as a police radar.. Again no magic, just basic physics.

A good grade 12 physics student could probably do the math given the data.

Seems pretty solid to me. The only things that could screw you up would be if the satelite clock had a huge error which is unlikely or if the device in the plane took variable amounts of time to respond, also unlikely.

Illya Kuryakin
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Illya Kuryakin »

Only a dreamer would still think that nobody knows something. Somebody KNOWS where this airplane is. Count on it! Somebody just isn't talking. There is no other answer. Personally, I believe it was shot down......and the why and wherefore will remain secret for as long as humanly possible.
Illya

Wish I didn't know now, what I didn't know then.
iflyforpie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by iflyforpie »

Illya Kuryakin wrote:Only a dreamer would still think that nobody knows something. Somebody KNOWS where this airplane is. Count on it! Somebody just isn't talking. There is no other answer. Personally, I believe it was shot down......and the why and wherefore will remain secret for as long as humanly possible.
Illya
I doubt it. Occam's Razor.... ....what possible motivation would someone have? And if there was motivation, what possible motivation would there be to cover it up? And if there was motivation to cover it up, how exactly would they accomplish that? And if they had the resources to accomplish it, how would they keep any of the thousands of people who would have to be involved from coming forward or having a crisis of conscience?

Another Malaysian plane was shot down... and there is very little mystery as to how and why in the grand scheme of things.

People are attracted to conspiracy theories for some reason..... in spite of how completely preposterous they would be. A simple history lesson on the bumblings of the various government agencies shows you that they cannot even be trusted to manage a B&E

Geez did I say that....? Or just think it....?

Return to “Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft”