Page 1 of 1

Where to land a floatplane in Winnipeg or Southport ?

Posted: Sun May 25, 2014 3:15 am
by digits_
Hi all,

I am looking for a place suitable to land a floatplane in Winnipeg or in Southport. Anybody of you got any ideas ?

Thank you very much !

Regards,
Digits

Re: Where to land a floatplane in Winnipeg or Southport ?

Posted: Sun May 25, 2014 5:22 am
by FOD_Vacuum
Hello,
As far as I know, Selkirk has a water aerodrome next to the Selkirk airport (CKL2) on the Red River just 30 mins north of Winnipeg on route 9(Main St).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Selkirk_Water_Aerodrome

Re: Where to land a floatplane in Winnipeg or Southport ?

Posted: Sun May 25, 2014 6:33 am
by fleetcanuck
If you do land a float plane inside the perimeter highway you will probably find yourself in some kind of trouble. Not sure if it is a local bylaw or what, but there is a very strong negative reaction if you do. Yes, I know that aviation is federally regulated etc., however, I would not care to deal with the ensuing hassle. There may be another option closer to St. Andrews where the local schools tie up.

A bit ironic, but there was also a recent tiff over float operations on the river close to where Connie Johannasen (sp)? set the precedent, now under attack by the current regime in OW.

Re: Where to land a floatplane in Winnipeg or Southport ?

Posted: Sun May 25, 2014 10:45 am
by seasonaldriver
Selkirk is about as close as you're going to get to Winnipeg and probably Southport on floats. It's been illegal to land anywhere on the river in Winnipeg for about 20 years. The people in Selkirk are friendly and will help you out getting to transportation I'm sure. I was out there a few days ago and they don't have all their docks in yet nor their fuel tank installed so call ahead.

Re: Where to land a floatplane in Winnipeg or Southport ?

Posted: Sun May 25, 2014 12:46 pm
by Tips Up
seasonaldriver wrote:Selkirk is about as close as you're going to get to Winnipeg and probably Southport on floats. It's been illegal to land anywhere on the river in Winnipeg for about 20 years. The people in Selkirk are friendly and will help you out getting to transportation I'm sure. I was out there a few days ago and they don't have all their docks in yet nor their fuel tank installed so call ahead.

Agree with Selkirk. Best set up for you.

Curious- I had emailed and phoned and checked everywhere I could about landing on the river within Winnipeg. It used to be done lots in the good old days. I can't find a reg banning it, I checked with the tower guys in Winnipeg and they had no issue, I checked with the RCMP and coast guard and they had no issue. City phone call was a waste of time. Is it online somewhere? It's not easy to find it if it is.

Re: Where to land a floatplane in Winnipeg or Southport ?

Posted: Sun May 25, 2014 1:07 pm
by seasonaldriver
I don't know where the regs against it are but float flying friends who used to fly off the Red River near me said that they were told not to do it anymore. I don't remember who told them that.

As an aside, I think that the exhibition about the early days of float flying in Winnipeg is still showing at the Western Canada Aviation Museum. Lots of photos, including one of Connie Johannsen standing on the float of his plane

Re: Where to land a floatplane in Winnipeg or Southport ?

Posted: Sun May 25, 2014 1:45 pm
by Antique Pilot
seasonaldriver wrote:Selkirk is about as close as you're going to get to Winnipeg and probably Southport on floats. It's been illegal to land anywhere on the river in Winnipeg for about 20 years. The people in Selkirk are friendly and will help you out getting to transportation I'm sure. I was out there a few days ago and they don't have all their docks in yet nor their fuel tank installed so call ahead.
The docks and fuel tank are now set up at Selkirk. Next place west of Winnipeg for a seaplane would be Shoal Lake. The fuel truck will come down from the airport.

AP

Re: Where to land a floatplane in Winnipeg or Southport ?

Posted: Mon May 26, 2014 1:23 pm
by digits_
Thank you all, I will look into it.

Re: Where to land a floatplane in Winnipeg or Southport ?

Posted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 6:43 pm
by ragbagflyer
Just land in the city and let us know how it goes!

Re: Where to land a floatplane in Winnipeg or Southport ?

Posted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:51 pm
by Sasquash
602.13 applies.

Anything inside the Perimeter is within the city of Winnipeg.

Therefore the only legal location is an airport, heliport or military aerodrome.

There was an aerial applicator, years ago, who requested an exemption, which as I recalled was denied by TC.

Re: Where to land a floatplane in Winnipeg or Southport ?

Posted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 11:52 pm
by single_swine_herder
If I recall, the applicator wanted to spray trees within the built up area on floats with a Cub and old Sorenson spray gear.

His plan for a failure was to "pull up and crash in the river" to prevent exposure to the persons or property in the event of an emergency. That wasn't deemed to be an acceptable way of doing business. Application denied..... followed by some appeal process, and a whole bunch of wrangling which went nowhere.

The problem with landing on the river is that it falls within the definition of built up area of the city of Winnipeg, and therefore you have to land at an aerodrome, not just anyplace which looks good with an open space on the dock.