AME Wages - AME's Unite!!

This forum has been developed to discuss maintenance topics in Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

DonutHole
Rank 8
Rank 8

Re: AME Wages - AME's Unite!!

Post by DonutHole »

I make 100k a year but I give the company back 60k so I am sure that I'm nothing like you. Dbag insurance I call it
---------- ADS -----------

NeverBlue
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by NeverBlue »

:lol:

...and you call ME a moron...

DonutHole
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by DonutHole »

Quack

NeverBlue
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by NeverBlue »

Hah!
You assume to know my trade?

I suppose you're going to tell me you can make a radio transmitter out of the alternator feed line now too?

...or to use vaseline on ELT battery gaskets

...or that a Tach cable is "delicate" :lol:

...or that the TruTach is as accurate as its xtal is. :D

Whatever!

CID
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by CID »

NeverBlue wrote:Sorry that happened to you.

I am very close to someone who was involved in the same sort of thing. I worked for the same company at the time.

But I also know someone who was involved in an explosion at a worksite in which they were responsible for the storage of the dynamite that blew up. Very stressful as well...arrested...questioned...but in the end did their job as required and was completely exonerated.

He eventually just chocked it up to "the wrong place at the wrong time"
...it sucks, but it can happen to anyone when a loss of a human life is involved.

In general aviation accidents happen all the time and people unfortunately die as a result...there is always investigations when people die and, just like I posted earlier, when people die as a result of shotty auto repair work...it just doesn't happen as often 'cause you can always pull over if someone screws up a repair on your car.

It would be no different if a refridgeration mechanic somehow accidently plumbed CO into a classroom full of kindergarden kids...God forbid...but no different.

If the thought here is that we as AME's should be paid more because if we screw up bad things happen well...that's a completely backwards way of thinking of things in my opinion.
Wow. So many words used to say nothing. And a badly spelled nothing at that.

NeverBlue
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by NeverBlue »

Don't read very well do you.

New agenda CID? What a guy you are...

AMETonyD
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by AMETonyD »

FrozenWrench wrote:I can only really comment as to the red seal trades part because that I know a little bit more about. I have asked about this to the people that manage the red seal trades and one of the biggest comments I have gotten back is that there must be a demand from the industry to be recognized as one. The person also said that there is not that much of a push from AME's to join the red seal trades. When asking around I noticed that not too many people, at least that I have asked, are interested in this.
I'm interested in Red Seal. I moved to YUL - Montreal end of 2014.. and I am still looking for work as an apprentice. Looks like I wasted $30,000 on schooling and the 2+ish years experience is kind of out the window... I dunno if it is like riding a bike. But when an employer sees that you have been out of the industry for over 2 years... chances of me getting hired again ? I prob have better odds at being selected for the SpaceX mission to Mars..by 2020.. :roll:

coldandwet
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by coldandwet »

Red Seal certificates are used for inter provincial working acceptance and since we hold a federal license there is no requirement to have red seal. In saying this I have come across alot of job postings that if you have any red seal certs you are allowed to apply so it would be good to be included.

MountainAME
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by MountainAME »

Well we have taken a set back lately in the uniting. I won't give details on our company or what we fly this is show no matter how much we talk about uniting there will always be those in the industry that will under cut us and set the low wage standard.
Our company is headed to Africa for work and the first group of pilots, F/As and mech have agreed to go for their regular canadian wage plus an extra $50/day per diem (taxed) on top of normal per diem. Highlights two issues with our industry no matter the company they will take advantage just to improver their bottom line off the backs of those that make them their money. Secondly always those out there willing to work for insulting wages just for their own personal agenda like just wanting to get overseas to see it like its a vacation.

bring me the horizon
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by bring me the horizon »

I hear Air Georgian is now hiring licensed AME's. Hourly rates up to $44.91! Although I would assume this is the cap of their AME pay scale holding a position similar to senior crew chief. Hell I made more than that as an independent contractor with no ACA. What a time to be alive...

CBAME
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by CBAME »

Air Georgian is having an AME meet and greet June 22 at Arizona's

https://www.facebook.com/events/409584812894898/

Dustier
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Dustier »

Heliian
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Heliian »

Good for them, I'm sure ups will just keep ripping customers off to make up for it.

040hurts
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by 040hurts »

My parting line (since I’m gonna be banned for speaking my mind) There is a labour shortage for skilled AMEs, and to all the companies who can’t find anyone - money talks. Pay your people well, respect their skills and personal lives/time. The world is changing and people don’t want to work to death for bottom dollar. AMEs are as valuable to your organization as pilots. Remember that.

hikoki otaku
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by hikoki otaku »

Dash 27 wrote: Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:36 pm Why are AME wages so low? Why do the benefits suck so bad? Why do we put up with so much BS from Transport Canada? Why are we not a "Red Seal" trade?

As far as I can tell, good experience is dying off in the industry. No companies are willing to pay wages that can compete with other industries. Transport Canada with their SMS is costing companies so much in money and BS that it's a headache for all involved.

We as AME's are the backbone of an operation and all we do is take shit from every direction. We're trapped because our skills are not transferable to other trades and in order to switch careers we have to give up everything we've worked so hard for and start from scratch.

Why do we let this continue... Is there not a way we can force a pay increase across the industry? A way to force the gov't to recognize us as a "Red Seal" trade? A way to give incentive to the experienced ones and new blood to stay in the industry instead of dropping it to go do any menial job in Alberta that pays double with speaking English as the only prerequisite and zero responsibility?

We need to figure out how to change this... Bring on the comments and ideas!!
AME's unite!!
Australia seemed to have success uniting their AME's and started their own federal trade union in 1964 https://alaea.asn.au Qantas Top AME wage is currently around $72 an hour with a 38 hour work week not including extra $$ for almost everything; type endorsements, location differential, etc.
A call to ALAEA for some advise might be a good start.

PitchLink
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by PitchLink »

This is an entertaining yet interesting thread. Seeing all the different low wages is pretty disheartening

Mechman
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Mechman »

I hear that Porter has just increased their pay substantially approx 7$/hr. Does anyone have their pay scale to share? Smart move to get and retain some talent especially since Encore has moved to the Westjet AMO and are receiving a much better payscale now. The sharing of pay scales is what will help push our industry’s wages up to where they belong.

Pat Richard
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Pat Richard »

All things considered, particularly inflation, most of that raise will not noticeable at the end of the day.

Additionally, because it's canada, there is a point when a higher and higher hourly income becomes detrimental with regards to taxes. When you gross 120G a year and pay almost 40G in taxes, you start to think that you'd rather have the 3 months that you worked for free, back. Especially as you get older and youre on the usual 12hr night shift, possibly outside, because the hangar is full.

The wage point isn't strictly an aviation point, but a "canada point". I find it really hard to be ambitious about earning a higher and higher amount due to the phukked up tax system.
I give way more thought on tax thresholds/keeping below them, and working less. It requires a lifestyle adjustment but Im getting to the point where I've been deciding when I want to work. Doing side jobs out of aviation has also been very helpful.

Going fwd, Im not sure what the answer is for aviation maintenance retention/recruitment.

There's honestly not a lot of positive points to sell.

Crossthreaded
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Crossthreaded »

Pat Richard wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 2:09 pm All things considered, particularly inflation, most of that raise will not noticeable at the end of the day.

Additionally, because it's canada, there is a point when a higher and higher hourly income becomes detrimental with regards to taxes. When you gross 120G a year and pay almost 40G in taxes, you start to think that you'd rather have the 3 months that you worked for free, back. Especially as you get older and youre on the usual 12hr night shift, possibly outside, because the hangar is full.

The wage point isn't strictly an aviation point, but a "canada point". I find it really hard to be ambitious about earning a higher and higher amount due to the phukked up tax system.
I give way more thought on tax thresholds/keeping below them, and working less. It requires a lifestyle adjustment but Im getting to the point where I've been deciding when I want to work. Doing side jobs out of aviation has also been very helpful.

Going fwd, Im not sure what the answer is for aviation maintenance retention/recruitment.

There's honestly not a lot of positive points to sell.
Wheee should I look for a 120g AME job? I’d like one!

MZUNGO
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by MZUNGO »

Crossthreaded wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 1:58 pm

Wheee should I look for a 120g AME job? I’d like one!
cargo

Return to “Maintenance”