I hate ultralights

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

Shiny Side Up
Top Poster
Top Poster

I hate ultralights

Post by Shiny Side Up »

Wait, hate probably isn't a powerful enough word. I've also learned to not really like guys who are ultralight guys either. I figure you can't really trust people who don't seem to care very much about the well being of their fellow human beings. Of the sectors of general aviation, I know of far more people who've been hurt in ultralights (some of those people multiple times) than any other sector.

For some reason there just seems to be a blind eye to this activity. What might be termed common sense, just doesn't seem to apply to this bit of the world, and everyone in it seems to feel they are a special exception. Major issues:

1) Airworthiness. A very loose definition when it comes to most ultralights. Although somewhat questionable when it comes to the design, in most cases the worst offense is with those who own and maintain. Why is it ok to have a machine with a penchant for catching fire? The crowd seems to accept problems with ultralights that you wouldn't even accept on an old clunker to drive around the farm.

2) Exception to the rules. There seems to be a perception amongst the crowd that there is just no rules. Do what you feel like. They're just suggestions. Lot of Burt Rutans, or at least guys who think they're as smart as when it comes to modifying. See the Colonel's rule #2 of aviation. Most don't seem to know what a traffic pattern or circuit is, and Jeebus save us if one of these fools is on the radio. I'm not even going to mention the number of these guys flying certified aircraft on their permit because they think they've beaten the system.

3) Randomized training. If one can call what is done training. Every time I've seen someone's log for doing their UPP its just 7 hours of circuits. Maybe someone will maybe mention how its bad to stall. Good enough. Of course this leads them to believe that they're just a flight test away from being a certified aeroplane pilot, which is so far from the reality it ain't funny.

Here's what I wish. If we need to have this sort of world, disconnect it from the rest of aviation. You're either an ultralight guy or a real aircraft guy. I wish ultralight time counted towards nothing for certified aeroplanes. You want to switch over, you start at square one.

Rant over.
---------- ADS -----------

We can't stop here! This is BAT country!
CpnCrunch
Rank 11
Rank 11

Re: I hate ultralights

Post by CpnCrunch »

The airworthiness issue applies to homebuilts in general - they can be very well built, or a piece of crap. The problem is that it's hard to tell the difference. I think it boils down to whether you trust the builder and whether it has a proper engine (lycoming, continental, or 4-stroke rotax).

Any time I read an accident report that starts off with "the [insert weird automotive conversion engine]" I don't need to read any more because I know what's about to happen.

CpnCrunch
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by CpnCrunch »

Oh, and you could implement a landing fee only for ultralights (like Nanaimo does).

Shiny Side Up
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Shiny Side Up »

Well there's home builts and then there's home builts. Where things go really ugly is where the ultralight and homebuilt crowd is the same. Just seems to be no QC. But that's another story.

The main problem I get is with people seeking training, and I just don't do ultralight permits. So guys will occasionally come and pretend they want to become PPLs, and then they disappear off to go fly their lawn furniture after they feel they've "got it enough". I'm not sure some of them even bothered with the UPP. Sometimes UPP holders come and want to upgrade to a RPP, and they're always under the impression that "the only thing extra to learn is the radio." To give one an idea of the thought process that goes on. Often its like square one, or sometimes square negative one, since they have a lot of really bad habits. Skidding around corners. Trying to power out of stalls. Don't know what a mixture is for besides a kill switch. "Keep that sucker in or the engine will quit!"

:roll:

Old Dog Flying
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Old Dog Flying »

And then there is the Ultrafright guy who lokes to fly after dark..with no lights on the piece of junk. I was doing some night training one night and my victim was under the hood. We were westbound over Langley at 2000" with a thin sliver of afterglow from the setting sun and in that bit of light was the shadow of something but ut was a long way off or so I thought. Keeping an eye on it with each scan, it got bigger and I threw on the landing light and holy crap! An ultralight, black and blue and I had time to grab the controls, pull and roll around the MX.

Close is not the word for it and when I called the RCMP later they were not interested even though O knew where the aircraft was based..King George Air Park, a notorious ul hang out.

Big Pistons Forever
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Big Pistons Forever »

I never did understand why people wanted to fly their lawn furniture.

PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by PilotDAR »

And then there is the Ultrafright guy who likes to fly after dark
Yup! There I was hurlting along in the 310 in beautiful dusk, probably doing about 180 knots (just 'cause it would!), and that same faint shadow. As I rolled through 90 not to hit him, I don't know how close I came. Though I do remember wondering how an ultralight would manage in the wake turbulence of a 310!

I can't argue against a person's right to fly, but couldn't they use real planes if they would like to share the airspace?

B52
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by B52 »

The Ultralight regulations are "light" and allow some low time pilots to be instructors
and there is a culture of teaching yourself how to fly.

I explored starting an UltraLight school, even purchased a property with an airstrip on it
and the local flyers were a very high standard as were the aircraft.
I racked up the prerequisite five hours with a god fearing UL instructor who spent
a considerable amount of time praying before each take off.

It was probably a good idea as he could not fly for nuts, and did not have a clue
about wind sheer. Nuts could go loose and god somehow tightened them, at least
thats what happened in his imagination.

Then I met some of the Challenger gang, and this included some very expensive machines
flown by incompetent pilots who appeared to have never had any decent training.
One of them nearly killed me with me as well an observer passenger.

He took off and climbed at just above the stall, got hit with wind sheer and went
wing tip first into the water.

If you ask the engineers and the regular instructors who deal with the Ultra Light mob,
there are some shining examples of quality instruction and construction just as there
are some dim wits instructing and parts coming from Auto-wreckers going on
Cessna 152's that provide back up service for chisel charters and smuggling operations.

My favorite Ultra light is the Murphy Rebel. A mean Subaroo powered machine that gets
off the water two up, full fuel in zero wind in a very short distance. Their performance on
wheels is mind blowing especially with a five bladed composite prop.

Its a machine I'd like to own.

Shiny Side Up
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Shiny Side Up »

And then there is the Ultrafright guy who loves to fly after dark..
Don't get me started. I just about hit one... in my truck. Was up by Lloyd. Guy just comes hurting across the highway in the dark, he was wearing a frikin' head lamp. Not sure if he was taking off or landing. Somehow must have survived, or maybe he's dead in a tree somewhere and no one has missed him, you'd never know.

Xander
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Xander »

The trouble with my life is that I do not think I am cut out to sit behind a desk.
Old Dog Flying
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Old Dog Flying »

Then there is the UL clown holding court at a well known coffee shop while he babbled about how ANY machine could be used for aerobatics and the TCCA guys knew S%$t about the safety features in the type. He went on for an jour extoling his aero prowess and the 5 court jester's just swallowed it up

Shiny Side Up
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Shiny Side Up »

B52 wrote:
My favorite Ultra light is the Murphy Rebel. A mean Subaroo powered machine that gets
off the water two up, full fuel in zero wind in a very short distance. Their performance on
wheels is mind blowing especially with a five bladed composite prop.

Its a machine I'd like to own.
The Rebel can be registered as an ultralight or a home built aircraft depending on how heavy you make it.

So one has a choice, do less and become an ultralight guy, or train more and become a normal PPL flying guy. Your choice.

This is the kind of thing though that I wish TC would sort out. They're behind the times since ultralights aren't just kites with a Briggs and Stratton anymore, there's some that perform like airplanes. They need to sort that out, its not like the old kites that are somewhat performance limited and less of a worry to the rest of us aviators since for the most part they can't get much above the trees. Of larger concern is the unwitting public who can now be deceived into thinking they're in a real airplane, but its being flown by someone who's got a UPP.

While there's supposed to be apparently a Passenger carrying rating, there's a lot of ultralights carrying passengers, but last I looked only two guys in P/N who can do the test. Doesn't take a lot of thinking to realize that there's a lot more passengers being carried than guys with passenger carrying ratings.

Mark Rose
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Mark Rose »

Shiny Side Up wrote:This is the kind of thing though that I wish TC would sort out. They're behind the times since ultralights aren't just kites with a Briggs and Stratton anymore, there's some that perform like airplanes. They need to sort that out, its not like the old kites that are somewhat performance limited and less of a worry to the rest of us aviators since for the most part they can't get much above the trees.
I know of one Advanced Ultralight that can climb to over 22,000 ft and cruise at 147 knots. The plus side is that I assume most ultralight pilots don't have their PPL because of cost (why else would you not go for full PPL in Canada?), and can't afford the higher performance advanced ultralights.

Justjohn
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Justjohn »

Mark Rose wrote:
Shiny Side Up wrote:This is the kind of thing though that I wish TC would sort out. They're behind the times since ultralights aren't just kites with a Briggs and Stratton anymore, there's some that perform like airplanes. They need to sort that out, its not like the old kites that are somewhat performance limited and less of a worry to the rest of us aviators since for the most part they can't get much above the trees.
I know of one Advanced Ultralight that can climb to over 22,000 ft and cruise at 147 knots. The plus side is that I assume most ultralight pilots don't have their PPL because of cost (why else would you not go for full PPL in Canada?), and can't afford the higher performance advanced ultralights.

'Cause maybe you can't hold a class 3 medical, but love to fly. There is a well known Canadian singer in this situation currently.

Flying is better than walking. Walking is better than running. Running is better than crawling. All of these however, are better than extraction by a Med-Evac, even if this is technically a form of flying.
Mark Rose
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Mark Rose »

Justjohn wrote:'Cause maybe you can't hold a class 3 medical, but love to fly. There is a well known Canadian singer in this situation currently.
Ahh, makes sense.

Shiny Side Up
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Shiny Side Up »

Justjohn wrote:

'Cause maybe you can't hold a class 3 medical, but love to fly. There is a well known Canadian singer in this situation currently.
You can get a RPP with a Cat 4, sort of the point of it. And G.C. has one now. Thankfully he was convinced to get into the real airplane world.

Taiser
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Taiser »

I think the states are still looking at making their version of a "cat 3" medical a self declared medical. Basically if you can drive a car, you can fly a plane. Makes sense to me for the cat 3... In fact my medical was due for my "B" drivers license (School Bus in Ontario) and it was way more thorough than my cat 3 exam... and more expensive too! :(

Panama Jack
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Panama Jack »

CpnCrunch wrote:Oh, and you could implement a landing fee only for ultralights (like Nanaimo does).

That sounds to me like a slippery slope.

“If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. If it stops moving, subsidize it.”
-President Ronald Reagan
AirFrame
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by AirFrame »

Big Pistons Forever wrote:I never did understand why people wanted to fly their lawn furniture.
Nobody understood why Orville and Wilbur wanted to do it either, but look where we ended up 100 years later...

AirFrame
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by AirFrame »

Shiny Side Up wrote:The Rebel can be registered as an ultralight or a home built aircraft depending on how heavy you make it.
Are you sure you don't mean the Maverick? It was a "lightened" Rebel designed from the ground up to be registered as UL or A-UL. Registering a Rebel as a basic UL is just gaming the system because someone was too cheap to pay for the inspections to make it an Amateur-built. I'm not sure you could build a Rebel, put a pilot and fuel in it, and still be under 1200lb.

All this talk about lax maintenance and poor construction is a red herring however... I've seen pathetically maintained certified aircraft, and amateur-built showplanes. Every category has cheapskates who will cut every corner they can, rich people who will spare no expense for perfection, and a range of people in-between.

Return to “Flight Training”