Aerocourse atpl incorrect questions??

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

Cessna driver
Rank 5
Rank 5

Aerocourse atpl incorrect questions??

Post by Cessna driver »

Just curious if anyone has found any errors in the aerocourse atpl workbook

In the performance/w&b, question 29 and 30 didnt work out for me,

Anyone willing to help?
---------- ADS -----------

cdnpilot77
Rank 10
Rank 10

Re: Aerocourse atpl incorrect questions??

Post by cdnpilot77 »

They have corrections printed on their website

timel
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by timel »

Which version of aerocourse?

Older versions don't have the corrections anymore on their website I think. I did the exams a little while ago, I was using an old book and I could not find the corrections.

pdw
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by pdw »

Cessna driver wrote:In the performance/w&b, question 29 and 30 didnt work out for me,

Anyone willing to help?
If it's contingency fuel, then it's probably tricky questions (my experience anyway).

Cessna driver
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Cessna driver »

Nah, its the max takeoff weight question for the dash 8 with the runways, couldnt find a correction for it, i'll post the question in a few min

kev994
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by kev994 »

Some of those max takeoff questions you need to take into account the climb out as well, or you might be better off with a tailwind due to a shallower climb out profile.

Cessna driver
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Cessna driver »

timel
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by timel »

I remember getting angry on that d8 question, and it was because the graphics were wrong.
But that was the aerocourse I used to study, the new one is supposed to have those questions solved.

kev994
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by kev994 »

29. Rwy 33= 34200- (6x75)= 33,759 =b. you are better off with 6 knots tailwind at 75lbs/kt penalty
30. Your climb limit is the limiting factor (column 3) at 33520. Runway wise you can get more than that. So a.

Cessna driver
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Cessna driver »

Ahhh crap

That makes total sense now, thanks

The5chord
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by The5chord »

The newest book doesn't have a correction on their website for CAR's question 2.

They say that a person over 40 years needs a medical every six months and an ecg every 12 months and an AUDIOGRAM is req.

an audiogram is not req at 40. It's not req after your initial until you are 55 if you haven't done one in the previous sixty months etc.

mike123
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by mike123 »

The5chord wrote:The newest book doesn't have a correction on their website for CAR's question 2.

They say that a person over 40 years needs a medical every six months and an ecg every 12 months and an AUDIOGRAM is req.

an audiogram is not req at 40. It's not req after your initial until you are 55 if you haven't done one in the previous sixty months etc.
I just wrote the exams and answered "medical every 6 months, ecg every 12 months" and my answer was wrong. Apparently they now go with the new rules.

askingquestions24
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by askingquestions24 »

I know this is an old thread but I'm not sure where to post this. If this is better posted somewhere else let me know.

I have this question in the Aerocourse book that is driving me crazy. It says the correct answer is B, but if you take "Empty Operating Weight" to mean that it includes the crew then it works out to a different answer. (2,860 lbs) Here's the question:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The following weights are given for a typical business jet:
Empty Operating Weight = 11,640 lbs
Crew (2 pilots) = 360 lbs

You are field length limited to 18,700 lbs max for takeoff. 500 Gallons of fuel are in the tanks. Maximum Fuel Weight is 14,500 lbs. What would be the max payload under these conditions?

a) 2,440 lbs
b) 2,500 lbs
c) 2,800 lbs
d) 3,160 lbs
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Now, I am under the impression that "Empty Operating Weight" already includes the crew, therefore the extra information they give by saying the crew weighs 360 lbs is to confuse you and get you to add that onto the "Empty Operating Weight", which would be wrong since the Operating Weight already includes the crew. However, according to the answer sheet in the Aerocourse book, the correct answer is B (2,500 lbs), which means they expected you to add the weight of the crew onto the "Empty Operating Weight".

I think the wording of "Empty Operating Weight" is ambiguous. It is not a real name of an aircraft weight that I am aware of. I have heard of "Basic Operating Weight", but not "Empty Operating Weight", should I know what this means?

Major Bedhead
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Major Bedhead »

People come in all different sizes - how could you set crew as part of empty operating weight?

Return to “Flight Training”